Interesting People mailing list archives

Deep Fakes: A Looming Challenge for Privacy, Democracy, and National Security by Robert Chesney, Danielle Keats Citron (SSRN)

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 09:05:45 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: the keyboard of geoff goodfellow <geoff () iconia com>
Date: February 3, 2019 at 12:48:30 AM GMT+9
To: Interesting Stuff list <is () iconia com>
Subject: IS: Deep Fakes: A Looming Challenge for Privacy, Democracy, and National Security by Robert Chesney,
Danielle Keats Citron (SSRN)

Contains “landmark law article” on deepfakes:

Deep Fakes: A Looming Challenge for Privacy, Democracy, and National Security
107 California Law Review (2019, Forthcoming)
U of Texas Law, Public Law Research Paper No. 692
U of Maryland Legal Studies Research Paper No. 2018-21
59 Pages Posted: 21 Jul 2018 Last revised: 23 Aug 2018
Robert Chesney
University of Texas School of Law
Danielle Keats Citron
University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law; Yale University - Yale Information Society Project; Stanford
Law School Center for Internet and Society
Date Written: July 14, 2018
Abstract
Harmful lies are nothing new. But the ability to distort reality has taken an exponential leap forward with “deep
fake” technology. This capability makes it possible to create audio and video of real people saying and doing things
they never said or did. Machine learning techniques are escalating the technology’s sophistication, making deep fakes
ever more realistic and increasingly resistant to detection. Deep-fake technology has characteristics that enable
rapid and widespread diffusion, putting it into the hands of both sophisticated and unsophisticated actors. While
deep-fake technology will bring with it certain benefits, it also will introduce many harms. The marketplace of ideas
already suffers from truth decay as our networked information environment interacts in toxic ways with our cognitive
biases. Deep fakes will exacerbate this problem significantly. Individuals and businesses will face novel forms of
exploitation, intimidation, and personal sabotage. The risks to our democracy and to national security are profound
as well. Our aim is to provide the first in-depth assessment of the causes and consequences of this disruptive
technological change, and to explore the existing and potential tools for responding to it. We survey a broad array
of responses, including: the role of technological solutions; criminal penalties, civil liability, and regulatory
action; military and covert-action responses; economic sanctions; and market developments. We cover the waterfront
from immunities to immutable authentication trails, offering recommendations to improve law and policy and
anticipating the pitfalls embedded in various solutions.
democracy, privacy, sexploitation, gendered violence, social media, cognitive bias, filter bubble, truth decay,
information operations, psyops, First Amendment, speech, expression, democracy...
[...]
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3213954&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosfutureofwork&stream=future

--
Geoff.Goodfellow () iconia com