Interesting People mailing list archives

Do the blockchain enthusiasts have a point?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:33:11 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Burstein <daveb () dslprime com>
Date: February 10, 2019 at 7:30:28 AM GMT+9
To: David Farber <farber () gmail com>
Subject: Fwd: Do the blockchain enthusiasts have a point?

Dave

I'm deeply sceptical of blockchain and convinced the high prices of cryptocurrency are a bubble.

But people I respect believe strongly that blockchain will become an important tool other than as currency. I don't
have enough depth to have an opinion.

One is your old colleague Kevin Werbach at Penn. He teaches a course that is very careful to tear down the hype but
still is an enthusiast.

John is right about most public advocates. "Enthusiasm for blockchain seems to follow a pattern of being inversely
proportional to the enthusiasts knowledge of how large-scale financial systems work."

But many remain convinced who are neither fools nor paid for advocates.

I'm currently working hard on a parallel problem. On 5G, the Emperor has no clothes. T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray's
presentation to the FCC says that in theory 5G NR will be 19-52% better than today's LTE. (I think when we have the
data it will be a little less.)

That's significant for us in the industry but far less than the gain from Massive MIMO or the now widely deploying
3-5 carrier aggregation. Both are part of the LTE standard and have been deploying in many parts of the world since
2016. Each is at least a 200% improvement in the real world.

I'm currently researching the coming decrease in latency. The best 5G NR Edge Clouds are about 15-40 ms. (The much
touted 1 ms is years away from reaching the field.)

Anyone actively interested, please contact me offlist.

Dave

Editor, http://Fastnet.news http://wirelessone.news gfastnews.com
Reply "sub" for a free subscription to Fast Net News and Wireless One. (2 or 3/month)