Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Nearly half of cellphone calls will be scams by 2019, report says

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 14:15:48 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: "critch () drunkenlogic com critch () drunkenlogic com" <critch () drunkenlogic com>
Date: September 21, 2018 at 03:58:15 GMT+9
To: ip <ip () listbox com>, Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Nearly half of cellphone calls will be scams by 2019, report says

I wish we could apply spam email tech to phone calls.

The phone companies know where a call originates, in as much as where it entered the phone system. VoIP doesn't need
to be considered at this moment since most people still connect to a phone company somewhere to communicate with cell
phones.

Allow people a * code to report the previous call as a spam/scam call. With enough complaints against a single
originating phone company, they get cut off from the network.

This should make each phone company become acutely aware when they are hosting spam/scam companies. They will have a
major interest in not being placed in a black hole.

So the idea is, if rural phone company has a customer that is either themselves a scammer, or their VoIP system is
not secured, the instant scam calls start getting reported, the phone company will start receiving the call details
of bad calls. They can then start monitoring or preparing to cut off that customer. At that point the phone company
is still considered a good actor themselves.

If the phone company did not act on the issue, then all other phone companies could choose to block all incoming
calls originating on the offending company.

I think this is possible since the phone company is still majorly centralized. A central point to block bad actors
companies would be much more efficient than all the individual users trying to create/use some form of blocking
strategies.

This solution also doesn't care about spoofed caller id.