Interesting People mailing list archives

Climate Change Speaks to the Heart

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 14:33:10 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Ed Gerck, Ph.D." <egerck () gmail com>
Date: September 18, 2018 at 14:29:03 GMT+9
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Climate Change Speaks to the Heart

Dear Dave and list,

We need to globally reject the Paris Accord. It is not that we are oppressed by the climate, is that we do nothing
effectively about it.

There is ample of empirical evidence for climate change, dating back to 100 years, it is not just weather. But human
models can be made to fit any data, and give willy-nilly answers. That is why physics needs to use empirical data,
not just human data. Papers are very flexible. We need a robust correction channel, we need to speak to the heart.

Humans can also simply ignore the evidence, create fantasy models that treat the evidence itself as "fantasy", or
just kick the can down the road to other generations.

What one can do now is look for the positive effects of climate change. Surely, there are not only negative effects…

It turns out, climate change, whatever the cause, is self-limiting at this stage of solar life.

The most affected hemisphere by radiation-trapping gases (CO2, methane, etc.) is the Northern, where they originate
mostly, are reduced by oceans and vegetation, directly, and by climate phenomena indirectly (e.g., by stopping
car/airplane circulation, extensive flooding, and stopping refineries and other polluting sources), in the same
hemisphere. Only a minority of the CO2 is presently absorbable, the rest accumulates, and so it keeps increasing each
year, exponentially growing.

In the Southern hemisphere, the Amazon is not the lungs of the Earth, due to Earth's rotation and the ensuing
Coriolis force, with air circulation bands pretty isolated latitude-wise, so the air mass in both hemispheres hardly
communicate. Each hemisphere has to handle each atmospheric CO2, but oceans circulate more.

The Paris Accord is no help as it somehow is based on a different planet, with no Coriolis force, with politics qua
physics -- as if that works here. It actually STIMULATES the North to pay ... and pollute more, so it is detrimental
to the North, ecologically.

The effect of an atomic war in the Northern hemisphere is well-studied: the whole Earth is affected, but the Southern
hemisphere remains relatively unscathed.

Same with global climate change, ceteris paribus. We need to globally reject the Paris Accord. It is not that we are
oppressed by the climate, is that we do nothing effectively about it.

NOTE: Some data at https://youtu.be/x1SgmFa0r04

Best regards,
Ed Gerck