Interesting People mailing list archives

Re FEMA to test 'Presidential Alert' system next week

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 18:09:15 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Geoff Kuenning <geoff () cs hmc edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] FEMA to test 'Presidential Alert' system next week
Date: September 17, 2018 at 6:07:33 PM GMT+9
To: dave () farber net

I'm not (hugely) worried that President Trump will misuse the FEMA system.  I suspect that the "deep state" (joke)
will be sufficient to keep the reins on.

But has anyone stopped to think about the effect of making every cellphone in the nation suddenly play a loud alert
tone?  Purely by coincidence, I'll be in an operating room for a perfectly safe procedure at that time; I can imagine
my wife's reaction to such an alert if I hadn't warned her.  But will the doctors and nurses know?  Movies, classical
concerts (fortunately few at 2:18 PM on a Thursday), school classes, and business meetings will be disrupted.
Drivers on freeways will be startled, and not a few will grab their phones to try to read the text.  I suspect that
several people will die as a result of the latter phenomenon.

Assuming the system works as designed, safety officials will then know that it's available.  My experience with such
things is that the people in charge won't be able to resist misusing it.  "Since we have a way to reach everybody,
let's send out a message telling them to wash their hands before eating."  That's not a hypothesis; I received
precisely such a message through my employer's emergency-alert system two years ago.
--
  Geoff Kuenning   geoff () cs hmc edu    http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

Software, like bridges, should be elegant and visually pleasing as
well as functional.  Ugly constructs, designs, and languages should be
avoided like the plague.