Interesting People mailing list archives

We stand on the shoulders of giants

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 10:22:36 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: rvh40 () insightbb com
Date: October 29, 2018 9:51:13 JST
To: David Farber <farber () gmail com>
Subject: We stand on the shoulders of giants

David Brin
37 mins ·
Anyone seeking to understand the brilliant, early conceptualists who foresaw some of our era’s wonders should be
familiar with names like J.D. Bernal and John Von Neumann and Alan Turing. And especially Vannevar Bush, whose essay
“As we may think” shortly after WWII squinted at a future when all people might have access to most of the world’s
information. Now a group has brought Bush’s proposed “Memex” system to life and the video is very interesting. Though
it would have been good to have it explained that the sound effects were meant to mimic what Bush expected, which was
physically accessing microfilms and mico-fiches.
See Vannevar Bush’s original Memex article.  (1945)

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1945/07/as-we-may-think/303881/?fbclid=IwAR1K0gsCOjkEfK_UXrUN8orjC3hz0oyDjFaitFkpnY1xtRoOY04osirsZ0U