Interesting People mailing list archives

re Google CEO admits company had a sexual harassment problem -- says it has fired 48 employees for sexual misconduct [over last 2 years]

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 07:10:57 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Schulman" <bob () rexdog net>
Date: October 26, 2018 at 6:57:38 AM GMT+9
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Google CEO admits company had a sexual harassment problem -- says it has fired 48 employees for
sexual misconduct [over last 2 years]

For IP if you like.

Google had 72K employees in 2016 and 88K in 2017 (according to statista). That’s an average of 80K for the two years.

48 folks dismissed over two years is 24/year.

I dunno what sexual harassment dismissal rates are, but 24 out of 80K employees seems *low* to me. But then, I am not
an HR person.

I don’t think expecting a community of 80K folks, with big, fat power relationships built into the structure of the
community is a community in which sexual harassment won’t happen is a realistic expectation.

My reaction is to either commend Google for facing the problem and reporting the stats, or to wonder if they’re
*under*-reporting.

The NYT article described what happened at Google in 2014…so it’s not clear how mappable behaviors and attitudes from
then are to now.

bob