Interesting People mailing list archives

How will 9 billion or 10 billion people eat without destroying the environment?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 12:21:04 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: October 12, 2018 8:30:38 JST
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] How will 9 billion or 10 billion people eat without destroying the environment?

How will 9 billion or 10 billion people eat without destroying the environment?
By Joel Achenbach
Oct 10 2018
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2018/10/10/how-will-or-billion-people-eat-without-destroying-environment/>

The human population has reached 7.6 billion and could number 9 billion or 10 billion by midcentury. All those people
will need to eat. A sobering report published Wednesday in the journal Nature argues that a sustainable food system
that doesn’t ravage the environment is going to require dramatic reforms, including a radical change in dietary
habits.

To be specific: Cheeseburgers are out, and fruits and veggies are in.

The 23 authors of the report, hailing from Europe, the United States, Australia and Lebanon, reviewed the many moving
parts of the global food system and how they interact with the environment. The authors concluded that the current
methods of producing, distributing and consuming food aren’t environmentally sustainable and that damage to the
planet could make it less hospitable for human existence.

A core message from the researchers is that efforts to keep climate change at an acceptable level won’t be successful
without a huge reduction in meat consumption.

“Feeding humanity is possible. It’s just a question of whether we can do it in an environmentally responsible way,”
said Johan Rockström, an earth scientist at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany and a
co-author of the study.

The report comes on the heels of a warning from the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that global
leaders need to take unprecedented action in the next decade to keep the planet’s average temperature from rising
more than 1.5 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels.

Global warming has typically been linked to the burning of fossil fuels, but food production is a huge and
underappreciated factor, and the new report seeks to place food in the center of the conversation about how humanity
can create a sustainable future.

“Everybody knows that energy has something to do with climate — we need to transform our energy system. There’s very
few people who realize that it’s just as, and maybe more, important to transform our food system,” said Katherine
Richardson, director of the Sustainable Science Center at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark. Richardson, who
was not part of the team producing the new study, added, “the food system is broken and needs to be fixed if we have
any hope of feeding 9 to 10 billion.”

Already, half the planet’s ice-free land surface is devoted to livestock or the growing of feed for those animals,
Richardson said. That’s an area equal to North and South America combined, she said. Rain forests are steadily being
cleared for cropland. And the demand for food is increasing faster than the population: Rising income in China and
many other formerly impoverished countries brings with it a higher demand for meat and other forms of animal protein.
Some 70 percent of the world’s fresh water is already used in agriculture, and the demand for that water will
intensify.

The Nature report, titled “Options for keeping the food system within environmental limits,” contends that, without
targeted changes, pressures on various environmental systems will increase 50 to 90 percent by 2050 compared with
2010. There’s no simple solution, the authors write, but rather “a synergistic combination of measures” will be
needed to limit the environmental damage.

One obvious measure is a change in diets. Researchers say meat production, which includes growing food specifically
to feed to livestock, is an environmentally inefficient way to generate calories for human consumption. Moreover,
ruminants such as cows are prodigious producers of methane as they digest food, and methane is a potent greenhouse
gas. The report says greenhouse-gas emissions from the global food system could be reduced significantly if people
reduce red-meat consumption and follow a diet built around fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes.

To limit greenhouse-gas emissions, “we won’t get very far if we don’t seriously think about dietary changes to a more
plant-based diet,” said Marco Springmann, lead author of the report and a senior researcher at the Oxford Martin
Program on the Future of Food.

He said that what is good for the planet is good for the eater. For most people eating a typical Western diet, eating
less meat will generally mean better health.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp