Interesting People mailing list archives

re Major post-Brexit Change: U.S. Citizens to be Eligible to Use U.K. Self-Service ePassport Gates

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 10:46:31 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Neff <tneff () grassyhill org>
Date: October 30, 2018 10:44:06 JST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Major post-Brexit Change: U.S. Citizens to be Eligible to Use U.K. Self-Service ePassport Gates

Since 2015, the UK Registered Traveller program has allowed US passport holders to use ePassport gates at many UK
points of entry.  (I have also used them entering the EU at Milan, but presumably Brexit will put the kibosh on
that.)  US Global Entry members who travel to the UK at least four times in two years are automatically invited.
There is a fee and a periodic renewal process, just as with Global Entry.

This recent announcement represents an expansion to non-Registered travelers, akin to USCBP's aggressive expansion of
Mobile Passport and similar systems for non-Global Entry travelers.

There have been rumors about trusted traveler programs expanding to the EU in general, but nothing concrete has been
announced.