Interesting People mailing list archives

Intel Corporation project to develop a U.S. privacy law

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 08:44:12 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Hoffman, David Legal" <david.legal.hoffman () intel com>
Date: November 6, 2018 8:36:04 JST
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Subject: (For IP) Intel Corporation project to develop a U.S. privacy law

Dave-

Our AI and Privacy Policy Team at Intel has a project that your IP list may find interesting. We have drafted a
proposed privacy bill and have asked for both experts and the public to comment on it at
http://usprivacybill.intel.com . This is an experiment in participatory democracy to use technology to bring out some
of the discussion that normally happens behind closed doors and let everyone take part. I have included below some
background on the project and an overview of the bill. I am interested to know what members of the list think of our
proposal.

Why Pass a US Federal Privacy Law?
Effective privacy regulation is critical to allow technologies like artificial intelligence to help solve the world’s
greatest challenges. The combination of advances in computing power, memory and analytics create the possibility that
technology can make tremendous strides in precision medicine, disease detection, driving assistance, increased
productivity, workplace safety, education and more. At Intel we are developing many of these technologies and are
focused on integrating artificial intelligence capability across the global digital infrastructure. At the same time,
we recognize the need for a legal structure to prevent harmful uses of the technology and to preserve personal
privacy so that all individuals embrace new, data-driven technologies. At Intel we know that privacy is a fundamental
human right and robust privacy protection is critical to allow individuals to trust technology and participate in
society.

What the US needs is a privacy law that parallels the country’s ethos of freedom, innovation and entrepreneurship.
That law needs to protect individuals and enable for the ethical use of data. As noted above, the use of data by new
technologies such as artificial intelligence will help us solve some of the most vexing global problems while
spurring economic growth. That ethical use of data will be critical as we use the data to train artificial
intelligence algorithms to detect bias and enhance cyber security. In short, it takes data to protect data. The US
needs a law that promotes ethical data stewardship, not one that just attempts to minimize harm. A non-harmonized
patchwork of state legislation will cause companies to default to restrictive requirements and the result will
decrease the likelihood of realizing technology’s great potential to improve lives.

How is the proposal structured?
The law uses the Fair Information Practice Principles (FIPPs) from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and
Development’s (OECD) Guidelines Governing the Protection of Privacy and Transborder Flows of Personal Data. The OECD
FIPPs are “the Global Common Language of Privacy” and many of the privacy laws around the world are based on them.
For the past few years, Intel has worked on a “Rethinking Privacy” initiative to take the OECD FIPPs and show how
they can be implemented in law differently to promote the innovative and ethical use of data.

Collection Limitation
The law encourages organizations to create new mechanisms for individuals to provide meaningful consent for data use.
Most uses of data will require a risk/benefit analysis that will restrict an organization from using data in a way
that creates undue risk for individuals. However, in many situations, individuals may be ok with these risks, and
will want to have the benefits of the use of the data. This bill encourages organizations to create mechanisms where
those individuals can make informed choices.

Data Quality
As artificial intelligence tools are deployed across more industry sectors, it will be critical that the data used to
train those algorithms has adequate diversity and volume. For example, for precision medicine, it is critical that
the algorithms are trained with sufficient data from ethnic and racial minorities. This is one reason that
international data flows are so important. This bill allows for the access to the data that creates better quality in
the algorithms, while also requiring organizations to measure that data quality and adjust for any deficiencies.

Purpose Specification
It is critical that organizations state their purposes for collecting and processing data. The law makes clear those
purposes must be described narrowly and specifically.

Use Limitation
Our proposal requires organizations to analyze the risks and benefits from the use of data. It also requires
organizations to control the uses of data from the entities to which it transfers data.

Security Safeguards
The bill requires organizations to adopt reasonable measures to protect personal data.

Openness
Research shows that for the most part people do not read privacy policies. However, privacy policies can play a
useful role to describe how an organization uses personal data. Our proposal requires three types of policies to
foster that understanding: 1. An explicit notice when particularly sensitive data is being collected, which will
enable better informed consent, 2. A thorough report of the organization’s use of personal data, to enable regulators
and advocates to better understand the entity’s practices, and 3. Publication of the traditional privacy policy, but
with more detailed information on the purposes of data collection.

Individual Participation
It is critical to understand when organizations have data, and for the individuals to whom that data relates to have
an ability to object when that data is either incorrect or when its use will disproportionately cause harm.

Accountability
The law encourages organizations to implement robust privacy programs that will decrease the risk of data misuse and
security breaches.

How will the law be enforced?
Robust, harmonized and predictable enforcement is necessary. The US Federal Trade Commission (Commission) has decades
of experience protecting privacy. What the Commission needs are: 1. More resources, 2. Authority to oversee all
industry sectors, 3. A clear mandate to develop guidance and regulations to communicate to organizations how they
should implement the FIPPs, and 4. The ability to enforce meaningful but fair sanctions. Our proposal provides all
four of those elements, while also preserving a role for State Attorneys General to apply sanctions in situations
where the Commission declines to start an enforcement action. The law uses those sanctions as a way to further
encourage organizations to demonstrate their accountability, by allowing those entities that adopt robust privacy
programs to have a safe harbor from civil penalties.

To view the complete text and participate in the discussion go to http://usprivacybill.intel.com

David A. Hoffman
Associate General Counsel and Global Privacy Officer
Intel Corporation
202-330-3945
Intel Public Policy Blog:  http://blogs.intel.com/policy
Twitter: @hofftechpolicy

Utilize the power of Moore’s Law to bring smart, connected devices to every person on Earth.