Interesting People mailing list archives

EFF Unveils Virtual Reality Tool To Help People Spot Surveillance Devices in Their Communities

From: "DAVID FARBER" <dfarber () me com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 05:53:49 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: EFF Press <press () eff org>
Date: November 6, 2018 3:48:51 JST
To: dfarber () me com
Subject: EFF Unveils Virtual Reality Tool To Help People Spot Surveillance Devices in Their Communities

This is a friendly message from the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2018
Contact:
Dave Maass
Senior Investigative Researcher
dm () eff org
+1 415-436-9333 x151

EFF Unveils Virtual Reality Tool To Help People Spot Surveillance Devices in Their Communities
Law Enforcement’s Deployment of High-Tech Spying Tools On the Rise

SAN FRANCISCO—The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) launched a virtual reality (VR) experience on its website
today that teaches people how to spot and understand the surveillance technologies police are increasingly using to
spy on communities.

“We are living in an age of surveillance, where hard-to-spot cameras capture our faces and our license plates, drones
in the sky videotape our streets, and police carry mobile biometric devices to scan people’s fingerprints,” said EFF
Senior Investigative Researcher Dave Maass. “We made our ‘Spot the Surveillance’ VR tool to help people recognize
these spying technologies around them and understand what their capabilities are."

Spot the Surveillance, which works best with a VR headset but will also work on standard browsers, places users in a
360-degree street scene in San Francisco. In the scene, a young resident is in an encounter with police. Users are
challenged to identify surveillance tools by looking around the scene. The experience takes approximately 10 minutes
to complete.

The surveillance technologies featured in the scene include a body-worn camera, automated license plate readers, a
drone, a mobile biometric device, and pan-tilt-zoom cameras. The project draws from years of research gathered by EFF
in its Street-Level Surveillance project, which shines a light on how police use, and abuse, technology to spy on
communities.

Created by EFF’s engineering and design team, the Stop the Surveillance VR experience can be found at
https://eff.org/spot-vr.

“One of our goals at EFF is to experiment with how emerging online technologies can help bring about awareness and
change,” said EFF Web Developer Laura Schatzkin, who coded the project. “The issue of ubiquitous police surveillance
was a perfect match for virtual reality. We hope that after being immersed in this digital experience users will
acquire a new perspective on privacy that will stay with them when they remove the headset and go out into the real
world.”

The current version is now being made publicly available for user testing, as part of the Aaron Swartz Day and
International Hackathon festivities. EFF will be conducting live demonstrations of the project at the event on Nov.
10-11 at the Internet Archive in San Francisco. Swartz, the brilliant activist and Internet pioneer, was facing a
myriad of federal charges for downloading scientific journals when he took his own life in 2013.

EFF seeks user feedback and bug reports, which will be incorporated into an updated version scheduled for release in
Spring 2019. The VR project was supported during its development through the XRstudio residency program at Mozilla.
The project was also made possible with the support of a 2018 Journalism 360 Challenge grant. Journalism 360 is a
global network of storytellers accelerating the understanding and production of immersive journalism. Its founding
partners are the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Google News Initiative, and the Online News Association.

For access to the VR experience and instructions on it use:
https://www.eff.org/pages/spot-surveillance-vr-experience-keeping-eye-big-brother

For details on the Aaron Swartz International Hackathon events at the Internet Archive, including talks by EFF
Executive Director Cindy Cohn, International Director Danny O’Brien, and Senior Investigative Researcher Dave Maass:
https://www.eff.org/event/2018-aaron-swartz-day-hackathon

For more on Street Level Surveillance:
https://eff.org/sls

For this release:
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff-unveils-virtual-reality-tool-help-people-spot-surveillance-devices-their

About EFF

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is the leading organization protecting civil liberties in the digital world.
Founded in 1990, we defend free speech online, fight illegal surveillance, promote the rights of digital innovators,
and work to ensure that the rights and freedoms we enjoy are enhanced, rather than eroded, as our use of technology
grows. EFF is a member-supported organization. Find out more at https://eff.org.

      Activism        |       Impact Litigation       |       Technology
This newsletter is printed from 100% recycled electrons.
EFF appreciates your support and respects your privacy.

Unsubscribe or change your email preferences, or opt out of all EFF email

815 Eddy Street
San Francisco, CA 94109-7701
United States