Interesting People mailing list archives

USA Today: Google's version of robocalls has small businesses skeptical

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 11:18:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: May 10, 2018 at 10:14:27 AM EDT
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] USA Today: Google's version of robocalls has small businesses skeptical

USA Today: Google's version of robocalls has small businesses skeptical

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2018/05/10/googles-version-robocalls-has-small-businesses-skeptical/596197002/

     Lauren Weinstein, a Los Angeles-based technology
   consultant, says the system can work if Google is upfront
   about it. "Humans in general don't mind talking to machines so
   long as they know that they're doing so," Weinstein says. "I
   anticipate significant negative reactions by many persons who
   ultimately discover that they've been essentially conned into
   thinking they're talking to a human, when they actually were
   not."

   With so many of us cursing at our phones daily for all those
   annoying robo calls, Alex Quilici, the CEO of the app YouMail,
   which promises to cut down on robocalls, calls Google's
   technology "a massive Christmas present to robocallers."

- - -

--Lauren--
Lauren