Interesting People mailing list archives

Our Addiction to Trump

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 13:32:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: May 8, 2018 at 11:04:03 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Our Addiction to Trump

Our Addiction to Trump
By Nicholas Kristof
May 5 2018
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/05/opinion/sunday/trump-obsession.html>

We in the commentariat complain about President Trump, but we’re locked in a symbiotic relationship with him.

News organizations, especially cable television channels, feed off Trump — like oxpeckers on a rhino’s back — for he
is part of our business model in 2018. As long as our focus is on Trump, audiences follow.

It’s not optimal to have as president an authoritarian who denounces journalists as enemies of the people, but he has
given us a sense of mission and a “Trump bump.” Every time he denounces us we get more subscriptions.

(If you’re reading this, President Trump, I’d appreciate a good, thunderous excoriation. You’ve gone after Maggie
Haberman, Don Lemon and Chuck Todd, but you’ve publicly denounced me only once — and so incoherently that I couldn’t
print out a quote to impress my kids. Next time you’re on Twitter, how about firing off something concise like:
“Crackpot Krisitofff is the WORST lying reporter at the FAILING NYTimes EVER!!!”)

Yet I worry that our national nonstop focus on Trump is helping to usher America into a hole: a Trump obsession. The
danger is that Trump sucks up all the oxygen, so that other issues don’t get adequate attention.

In America today, it’s all Trump, all the time. We’re collectively addicted to him. The nonstop scandals and outrages
suck us in; they amount to Trump porn.

As president, Trump is enormously important, but there’s so much else happening as well. Some 65,000 Americans will
die this year of drug overdoses, American life expectancy has fallen for two years in a row, guns claim a life every
15 minutes and the number of uninsured is rising again even as a child in the U.S. is 70 percent more likely to die
before adulthood than one in other advanced nations. Those issues are rather more important than the question of
whether Stormy Daniels slept with Trump.

Or look abroad. In Myanmar, the government is engaging in what many believe to be a genocide against the Rohingya
minority. Gaza is erupting, and there’s heightened threat of a new war in the Middle East. The U.S. has been
complicit in Saudi Arabian war crimes in Yemen. The carnage in Syria continues.

The world’s progress against malaria, which kills almost one person a minute, has stalled. A fifth of children under
5 worldwide are stunted from malnutrition. Bill Gates and others warn that one of our top risks is a pandemic for
which we are ill prepared.

Progressive snobs like me bemoan Trump’s inattention to these global issues, but the truth is that we don’t pay
attention, either. At cocktail parties, on cable television, at the dinner table, at the water cooler, all we talk
about these days is Trump. So we complain about Trump being insular and parochial — but we’ve become insular and
parochial as well. We’ve caught the contagion that we mock.

I’m addicted myself, which is why I write so much about Trump — or catch myself on a date night with my wife engaging
in horrified conversation about Trump.

In fairness, there’s good reason we’re all Trump addicts: President Trump truly is THE story in America today. He is
systematically undermining American institutions and norms that underlie democratic government: courts, law
enforcement, journalism, the intelligence community, truth. He is also being investigated for possibly obstructing
justice and colluding with a foreign power’s attack on our electoral system. Epic battles will follow.

Two thousand years from now, historians may be lecturing on Trump the way they now discuss, say, the challenge to
Roman institutions from Caligula.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp