Interesting People mailing list archives

Re HIPAA compliant system design

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 07:57:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: March 25, 2018 at 5:29:01 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] HIPAA compliant system design

(for IP, if you wish)

I'm HIPAA-certified and have appreciable experience running an operation
where it was in play (along with other regulatory measures and contractual
obligations).

It's a good start, but HIPAA is woefully outdated in a number of areas.
To pick one of those, it doesn't consider the enormous progress made
in re-identification.  See for example:

   A Systematic Review of Re-Identification Attacks on Health Data
   http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0028071

as well as the work done by folks like Arvand Narayanan and colleagues
at Princeton:

   De-anonymization is not X: The Need for Re-identification Science
   https://33bits.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/de-anonymization-is-not-x-the-need-for-re-identification-science/

Let me summarize this topic area: if someone points to a data set and says "this
has been de-identified", they're probably wrong.  It turns out to be much harder
than it looks, and the landscape is littered with failures.

We're going to need a new regulatory framework that takes this and much more
into account and includes mechanisms for vesting control over our data (and
our metadata) in us.

---rsk