Interesting People mailing list archives

Can Meditation Make Us Nicer?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 13:32:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: March 23, 2018 at 1:22:14 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Subject: Can Meditation Make Us Nicer?

Dave, I thought your list might find this column interesting. Cheers, John

Can Meditation Make Us Nicer? A new study suggests that meditation’s moral and social benefits are limited.

...[A] study published in Nature has cast doubt on the claim that meditation makes you nicer. Titled “The limited
prosocial effects of meditation: A systematic review and meta-analysis,” the study was carried out by cognitive
researchers Ute Kreplin, Miguel Farias and Inti Brazil.

The researchers note the extravagant claims made for meditation, including this widely circulated quote attributed to
the Dalai Lama: “If every eight-year-old in the world is taught meditation, the world will be without violence within
one generation.” Advocates of Transcendental Meditation have also asserted that it can reduce aggression and violence.

Kreplin, Farias and Brazil sought to test these claims.... They conclude that mediation “might make one feel
moderately more compassionate or empathic, but our findings suggest that these effects may be, at least in part, the
result of methodological frailties, such as biases introduced by the meditation teacher, the type of control group
used and the beliefs and expectations of participants about the power of meditation.”

More at https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/can-meditation-make-us-nicer/