Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Why the CLOUD Act is Good for Privacy and Human Rights

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 12:17:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Winser <michaelw.net () gmail com>
Date: March 15, 2018 at 10:35:40 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Why the CLOUD Act is Good for Privacy and Human Rights

Hi Dave, for IP if you wish.

Mr. Swire's email is free of facts or even opinion. It simply asserts that this is good and that we should approve
it. This is hardly the foundation of useful discourse on this list.

Given's Mr. Swire's stance on ISPs and privacy, I'm already skeptical of this breathless support of the CLOUD bill.

Here's the link to the article which does assert the following:
<snip>
Among other things, the legislation:
Prohibits targeting of U.S. citizen and resident data. For such data, foreign governments would still need to go
through the MLA system and obtain a warrant based on probable cause. This important provision reflects the
common-sense notion that U.S. standards should continue to protect U.S. citizens and residents. Likewise, when a
foreign government is seeking the data of its own nationals, the U.S. has much less justification to insist on U.S.
standards, simply because the data is stored in the U.S. or is held by a U.S.-based provider;
Prohibits indirect targeting of U.S. citizen data and prohibits the foreign government from sharing that data back
with the United States unless it relates to significant harm or the threat of such harm to the United States or
United States persons;
Requires that requests be particularized—targeting a specific person, account, address, personal device or other
identifier;
Requires that requests be based on “articulable and credible facts”—a standard that is similar to the probable cause
standard, albeit stated in terms more readily understandable to non-U.S. law enforcement;
Requires that requests be subject to “review or oversight” by a court, judge, or magistrate or other independent
authority;
Requires that any live intercept orders be for a “fixed, limited duration,” “not last any longer than is reasonably
necessary to accomplish the approved purposes” and be issued “only if the same information could not reasonably be
obtained by another less intrusive measures.” These limitations track, although are not identical to, key protections
in the Wiretap Act;
Prohibits use of data to infringe on freedom of speech;
Requires the foreign government to agree to compliance reviews—a remarkable and novel development that, for the first
time, would enable the United States to track how data obtained by foreign governments is used and thereby protect
against abuse.
</snip>

I'm not sure why the author didn't include them in the email. At least now we can debate the correctness and
implications of these assertions.

I can't validate these assertions but the the EFF and ACLU have raised concerns about the lack of legislative process
by which the AG can enter into agreements for data access. From the ACLU article:

It would allow Attorney General Sessions to enter into agreements with foreign governments that bypass current law,
without any approval from Congress.

My own concern is that absent specific protections against collateral data collection, governments will be able to
use this to collectively gather and share information about anyone they want. The EFF point this out:

The CLOUD Act allows the president to enter an executive agreement with a foreign nation known for human rights
abuses. Using its CLOUD Act powers, police from that nation inevitably will collect Americans’ communications. They
can share the content of those communications with the U.S. government under the flawed “significant harm” test. The
U.S. government can use that content against these Americans. A judge need not approve the data collection before it
is carried out. At no point need probable cause be shown. At no point need a search warrant be obtained.

The author's statements of "trust us, this is important" and "mooting the Microsoft Ireland case" aren't very
compelling.