Interesting People mailing list archives

My Alarming, Inspiring Encounter with Stephen Hawking

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 10:01:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: March 14, 2018 at 9:24:41 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Subject: My Alarming, Inspiring Encounter with Stephen Hawking

Dave, I thought your list might find this reminiscence interesting. John

My Alarming, Inspiring Encounter with the Late Stephen Hawking

In 1990, while on assignment for Scientific American, I had a close encounter with Stephen Hawking, who just died at
the age of 76. I had bulled my way into a symposium, sponsored by the Nobel Foundation, on “The Birth and Early
Evolution of Our Universe.” Thirty of the world’s top physicists and cosmologists, including Hawking, had gathered in
a rustic, isolated resort in northern Sweden to ponder the riddle of the cosmos.

I arrived late on the first day of the meeting, just as everyone was heading outside for a cocktail party. Hawking,
already paralyzed by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, led the procession in his motorized wheelchair. We were within
sight of picnic tables bearing reindeer jerky and a potent local brew called wolf’s blood when Hawking’s wheelchair
jammed in a rut. His nurse, Elaine Mason (whom Hawking later married), tried to budge the wheelchair, without
success. Fixing her eyes on me, she asked if I would carry “Stephen” the rest of the way....

Continue reading at

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/my-alarming-inspiring-encounter-with-the-late-stephen-hawking/​