Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Should We Chill out About Global Warming?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 21:59:42 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Beck <cbeck () pacanukeha net>
Date: March 8, 2018 at 9:52:54 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] Should We Chill out About Global Warming?

"How bad will climate change be? Not very. <snip> Cataclysmic—but not apocalyptic.

Good to know that we only need to worry about a cataclysm! I feel better already. And the ones who will suffer most
are already living pretty crappy lives anyway...but luckily only half a million a year will starve to death. We leave
as an exercise for the reader the calculation of how many will die in the First South Asian when it becomes clear
that Bangladesh is no longer habitable and the residents of the Padma River watershed spill west into Bengal and the
flooded city of Kolkata and east into Myanmar:
http://www.floodmap.net/?ll=23.987621,91.74805&z=6&e=8  (2100, assuming Greenland and the known risky Antarctic
glaciers go)

Let's not pretend that there will ever be any votes in Washington or Strasbourg or Beijing to build dykes along that
coast that can survive the annual bombardment of Category 5 cyclones.

So yeah.  We'll develop technology to mitigate the pain. But only some and the suffering will not be equitably shared
- those of us(myself included obviously) in the decadent west whose consumption drove the beginning of this and
inspired countless imitators, well we'll be the inventors and primary benefactors of the majority of technical
solutions and the primary sufferers will be the masses who contributed very little CO2.

Meh.  Optimism is necessary but I think we need a healthy dose some other emotions to ensure we share the wealth.
And maybe, just maybe, we deserve to take a bit of a hit to our lifestyles, it's not like we can't afford it.

Cheers, (heh)
Chris