Interesting People mailing list archives

Greeting from Tokyo

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 07:31:27 +0900

I arrived two days ago and am getting used to Japan and Tokyo. I went through the paper work and got my resdient card,
my cell number and my bank account. More on the bank latter in this note.

The house I am renting is very very good. It is a wonderful blend of Japanese and western style ( will send a few
pictured latter. The subway is a wonderful improvement over NYC. Clean, ONTIME etc. Even the escalltors work!!

Keio University has been all I hoped for. I am just getting started with the work. Of the Cyber Civilization Research
Center  (http://www.ccrc.keio.ac.jp <http://www.ccrc.keio.ac.jp/>). (Again more on this in a later posting).

Ah the bank!! It took about 1 and 1/2 hours to open an account with endless paper to fill out and even then I have to
wait about 8 days to get an. ATM card!!! When I deposited some yen, I had to wait till the tellers seem to be doing
back office work. Finally I was called and I presented the cash. The Teller counted it three times and ran it through a
cash counting machine twice. I was told to sit down and I would be called. Watching the teller then took my deposit to
another teller (most likely a supervisor) who counts it twice and then initialed a form and passed it back to the
teller who counted it twice and then finally called me and gave me the receipt.  I passed on getting a credit card
since that had more forms!!

Finally there is the Suica card  card issued by JR East and usable on subways, trains, convince stores etc. and I
transferred it to my IPhone 10 and it works fine as both an fare card and a cash card. And Apple Pay works at some
places also.

My cell is 070 4490 7275 internationally use +81 70 4490 7275