Interesting People mailing list archives

Yes, Make Psychedelics Legally Available, but Don’t Forget the Risks

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 22:54:05 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: July 6, 2018 at 9:19:32 PM GMT+9
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Cc: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Subject: Yes, Make Psychedelics Legally Available, but Don’t Forget the Risks

Dave, FYI, just posted in Scientific American:

Yes, Make Psychedelics Legally Available, but Don’t Forget the Risks

Last spring, I descended into the basement of a suburban home with two-dozen people and swilled fluid from a plastic
cup. It was ayahuasca, a tea brewed from two South American plants, which contains the psychedelic compound
dimethyltryptamine, DMT.

Ayahuasca has the viscosity of spit, it tastes like beer dregs into which someone has dropped a cigar, and it is
nauseating, literally. Our guides gave each of us a plastic pail in case we vomited (which I did). The brew induces
visions that can be blissful, excruciating, terrifying, sometimes all at once. As our guides played music and sang,
we groaned, retched, cried, laughed, stared open-mouthed into space, retched again. A young man beside me oscillated
between giggles and sobs. We each paid $200 for this experience, which lasted about five hours.

Why, you might ask, would anyone in his right mind want to do this? I tried to answer that question 15 years ago in
Rational Mysticism, my investigation of psychedelics, meditation and other mystical technologies (and I’ll tell you
my answer below). That same year, 2003, I proposed in Slate that psychedelics be dispensed by “licensed therapists,
who can screen clients for mental instability and advise them on how to make their experiences as rewarding as
possible.”

This scenario seemed far-fetched at the time, but it is looking a lot more likely lately. One reason is that
researchers have continued producing evidence of psychedelics’ psychological and spiritual benefits. Perhaps more
important, journalist Michael Pollan—author of the bestsellers The Botany of Desire and The Omnivore’s Dilemma--has
become an advocate of the drugs.

Pollan wrote a surprisingly enthusiastic article about psychedelics for The New Yorker in 2015. That was a preview of
his new bestseller How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness,
Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence. I’m a fan of psychedelic literature, including the writings of
Aldous Huxley, Terence McKenna and Alexander and Ann Shulgin, but I haven’t read a more eloquent defense of
psychedelics than How to Change Your Mind....

Continue at
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/yes-make-psychedelics-legally-available-but-dont-forget-the-risks/