Interesting People mailing list archives

Report on second week in Japan

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 20:29:06 +0900

It has been another week in Tokyo and I find myself getting in the groove of life — at least many aspects of it.

I am becoming an “expert” in commuting on the subway. Normally I leave my house and walk maybe 10 minutes to the local
station at 845 am. The train is always jammed but every one is polite — no NYC shoving. Stations are clean, cars are
clean and boarding is remarkably orderly. I take a 15 minute ride and then walk maybe 10 minutes to the office. I stop
at the same 7-11 store (again clean and friendly with good simple food at good prices. I normally just get coffee (100
Yen — 86 cents) and god to the office. I have a very good set of colleagues in the Center and enjoy both the atmosphere
and what we are doing (just getting started).

I still have to face the “terror” of going by my self to a small eating place where there are no English menus etc.
That is next. Mostly when I don’t go with colleagues for dinner (great food!!!) I stop by a store on the way back to
the subway what has a big selection of take out food and eat at home.

I made trips to the big electronic stores and also went to my favorite department store in the Ginza and both ate in
their restaurant as well as shopped for food in their extensive take out food . Peking duck dinner for two for about
$23.

Sunday I gave an informal 2 hours to a group of young lawyers taking a classs at Keio. It was held in one of the
faculty house. Bright set of “kids” with excellent English skills (I have no skills in Japanese yet).

It is hot and humid — just like NYC.

More latter

Dave