Interesting People mailing list archives

Welcome to the neighbourhood. Have you read the terms of service?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 00:52:11 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: the keyboard of geoff goodfellow <geoff () iconia com>
Date: Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 7:13 PM
Subject: Welcome to the neighbourhood. Have you read the terms of service?
To: E-mail Pamphleteer Dave Farber's Interesting People list <ip () listbox com

*Welcome to the neighbourhood. Have you read the terms of service?*
*How we think about privacy today might not be the best way to deal with
data collection in a smart city*
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/smart-cities-privacy-data-personal-information-sidewalk-1.4488145
excerpt:

The L-shaped parcel of land on Toronto's eastern waterfront known as
Quayside isn't much to look at. There's a sprawling parking lot for
dry-docked boats opposite aging post-industrial space, where Parliament
Street becomes Queens Quay. To its south is one of the saddest stretches of
the Martin Goodman trail, an otherwise pleasant running and biking route
that spans the city east to west.

But before long, Quayside may be one of the most sensor-laden
neighbourhoods in North America, thanks to Alphabet's Sidewalk Labs, which
has been working on a plan to redevelop the area from the ground up
<http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/waterfront-toronto-announcement-1.4358683>
into
a test bed for smart city technology.

It's being imagined
<https://sidewalktoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Sidewalk-Labs-Vision-Sections-of-RFP-Submission.pdf>
as
the sort of place where garbage cans and recycling bins can keep track of
when and how often they're used, environmental probes can measure noise and
pollution over time and cameras can collect data to model and improve the
flow of cars, people, buses and bikes throughout the day.

Generally speaking, the idea is that all of this data — and the newfound
insights its analysis could yield — will help cities run more efficiently
and innovate at a faster pace than they do today.

The effort is one of a handful of broad initiatives underway across the
world in places such as Dublin, London, Dubai and Seattle. The Canadian
government is soliciting pitches for more smart cities across the country
<http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/cities-villes-eng.html>, and has
promised up to $80 million to communities competing in its Smart Cities
Challenge prize.

But when it comes to the data these cities gather, not everyone believes
the tradeoff is worth it. Although governments already collect lots of data
on their citizens, it's becoming clear that current privacy laws aren't
going to be enough to deal with the realities of what most of these visions
propose — data collection on a scale that far surpasses what's happening
today.

"I think in some ways what we're facing here is a situation where none of
this is very much like anything we've seen before," says David Murakami Wood
<https://ubisurv.wordpress.com/>, an associate professor at Queens
University, who studies surveillance in cities.

He's not the only one who's skeptical that the law can keep up. [...]

--
Geoff.Goodfellow () iconia com
living as The Truth is True

This message was sent to the list address and trashed, but can be found
online.
<https://www.listbox.com/login/messages/view/20180116191311:3172E0A8-FB1B-11E7-B26B-A2DBD05EB3D3/>