Interesting People mailing list archives

Trump is now dangerous – that makes his mental health a matter of public interest

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 20:19:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Randell <brian.randell () newcastle ac uk>
Subject: Trump is now dangerous – that makes his mental health a matter of public interest
Date: January 7, 2018 at 6:32:22 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Cc: Brian Randell <brian.randell () newcastle ac uk>

H Dave:

For IP if you wish.

Today’s Observer (a UK national sunday newspaper allied to the Guardian) contains a whole page article by Bandy Lee,
entitled "Trump is now dangerous – that makes his mental health a matter of public interest”.

It is online in the Guardian website at :

  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/07/donald-trump-dangerous-psychiatrist
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/07/donald-trump-dangerous-psychiatrist>

Its concluding paragraph:

"In medicine, mental impairment is considered as serious as physical impairment: it is just as debilitating, just as
objectively observable and established just as reliably through standardised assessments. Mental health experts
routinely perform capacity or fitness for duty examinations for courts and other legal bodies, and offer their
recommendations. This is what we are calling for, urgently, in doing our part as medical professionals. The rest of
the decision is up to the courts or, in this case, up to the body politic."

A follow up Opinion piece this evening, by Matthew d’Acona, due I assume to appear in tomorrow’s Guardian, .is

Fire and Fury? Maybe Donald Trump is only just getting started

at

  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/07/fire-fury-donald-trump-michael-wolff-book
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/07/fire-fury-donald-trump-michael-wolff-book>

Cheers

Brian
—

School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
EMAIL = Brian.Randell () ncl ac uk <mailto:Brian.Randell () ncl ac uk>   PHONE = +44 191 208 7923
URL = http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/people/profile/brianrandell.html
<http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/people/profile/brianrandell.html>