Interesting People mailing list archives

Re weather, climate, and Trump

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 14:22:29 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: John Covalesky <john () covalesky com>
Date: Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 8:17 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] weather, climate, and Trump
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave For IP if you wish.

Not to pile on here, and I am not a climate scientist  (but I played hockey
with some).  :
if temperatures are warm one summer, that’s the changing climate, but if
temperatures are cold one winter, that’s just weather.
This is absolutely not what was being stated by climate scientists.
Globally 2017 was on of the hottest years on record, *over the entire
planet*. That includes the winter months.
This current cold air mass and storm resulting in cold temperatures for a
couple of weeks in the US, is not the same comparison.  So the above
statement is another red herring. If any legitimate scientist said "last
summer was warm and that's warming climate', they either misspoke or the
listener misunderstood. There are subtleties that can be added, like
climate change could increase the size and strength of weather events -
that would be an expected side affect of more energy in systems. Perhaps
that is what is confusing.

The important part for the public to understand is that there isn't any
debate among people who study this for a living. Climate change is
happening, Global warming is happening, and is is most likely the result of
human activities.  And it is going to continue to have severe economic and
social side effects.

This page summarizes the best understanding from folks that are actually
qualified to have an opinion on climate change. If I am going to stake the
farm on anyone's assessment, I would take these over anything else.
https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

~John