Interesting People mailing list archives

The RAND Corporation and the Center (Some History)

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 20:14:24 +0000

 ---------- Forwarded message ---------
 From: Thomas Lipscomb <tomlipscomb () mindspring com>
 Date: Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:49 PM
 Subject: RE: DL- The RAND Corporation and the Center (Some History)
 To: Dave <dave () farber net>

 A few additions to Mark's excellent summary on RAND and Kahn:

 Rand was famous in its early days for, as Mark points out, out of the box
 studies.

 Early on RAND was fascinated with game theory and did some interesting
 studies applying it to the new theories on nuclear warfare of great
 interest to its financiers at USAF.

 Herman Kahn continued on at Hudson with his much misunderstood studies on
 nuclear war, which were often very unpopular with the Air Force, since he
 was far from being a Lemay "bomb them back into the stone age" fan. Herman
 was an early exponent of both "flexible response" and "High Frontier."

 Herman believed in doing everything possible to strongly alter the
 effectiveness of "first strikes" in nuclear war to make them, to borrow the
 title of a famous early RAND study, "games not worth playing."

 He also supported my father's work on the neutron bomb which was primarily
 directed towards the NATO standoff. The Communists hated it... it was, they
 said with some justice, "the ultimate capitalist weapon. It destroys the
 proletariat while preserving the means of production intact."

 Which amused Herman no end when applied to the square miles of Warsaw Pact
 tanks he foresaw abandoned on the European plain in perfect working order,
 once you hosed the remains of their irradiated crews out through the escape
 hatch in the bottom decks.

 FYI... I may be wrong, but the campus of Hudson at Croton, high on a hill
 was not simply "a mansion." It was a series of buildings and out buildings
 left over from what used to be a psychiatric facility. Something Herman
 never hesitated pointing out to visitors.

 THOMAS H. LIPSCOMB

 646-625-9700