Interesting People mailing list archives

Facebook Only Cares About Facebook

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 04:39:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: January 29, 2018 at 3:05:23 AM EST
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Facebook Only Cares About Facebook

Facebook Only Cares About Facebook
Whatever Mark Zuckerberg says about human community or his legacy, his company is acting in its own interests—and
against the public good.
By ETHAN ZUCKERMAN
Jan 27 2018
<https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/01/facebook-doesnt-care/551684/>

Facebook’s crushing blow to independent media arrived last fall in Slovakia, Cambodia, Guatemala, and three other
nations.

The social giant removed stories by these publishers from users’ news feeds, hiding them in a new, hard-to-find
stream. These independent publishers reported that they lost as much as 80 percent of their audience during this
experiment.

Facebook doesn’t care. At least, it usually seems that way.

Despite angry pushback in the six countries affected by Facebook’s algorithmic tinkering, the company is now going
ahead with similar changes to its news feed globally. These changes will likely de-prioritize stories from
professional publishers, and instead favor dispatches published by a user’s friends and family. Many American news
organizations will see the sharp traffic declines their brethren in other nations experienced last year—unless they
pay Facebook to include their stories in readers’ feeds.

At the heart of this change is Facebook’s attempt to be seen not as a news publisher, but as a neutral platform for
interactions between friends. Facing sharp criticism for its role in spreading misinformation, and possibly in
tipping elections in the United States and in the United Kingdom, Facebook is anxious to limit its exposure by
limiting its role. It has long been this way.

This rebalancing means different things for the company’s many stakeholders—for publishers, it means they’re almost
certainly going to be punished for their reliance on a platform that’s never been a wholly reliable partner. Facebook
didn’t talk to publishers in Slovakia because publishers are less important than other stakeholders in this next
incarnation of Facebook. But more broadly, Facebook doesn’t talk to you because Facebook already knows what you want.

Facebook collects information on a person’s every interaction with the site—and many other actions online—so Facebook
knows a great deal about what we pay attention to. People say they’re interested in a broad range of news from
different political preferences, but Facebook knows they really want angry, outraged articles that confirm political
prejudices.

Publishers in Slovakia and in the United States may warn of damage to democracy if Facebook readers receive less
news, but Facebook knows people will be perfectly happy—perfectly engaged—with more posts from friends and families
instead.

For Facebook, our revealed preferences—discovered by analyzing our behavior—speak volumes. The words we say, on the
other hand, are often best ignored. (Keep this in mind when taking Facebook's two question survey on what media
brands you trust.)

Tristan Harris, a fierce and persuasive critic of the ad-supported internet, recently offered me an analogy to
explain a problem with revealed preferences. I pledge to go to the gym more in 2018, but every morning when I wake
up, my partner presents me with a plate of donuts and urges me to stay in bed and eat them. My revealed preferences
show that I'm more interested in eating donuts than in exercising. But it’s pretty perverse that my partner is
working to give me what I really crave, ignoring what I’ve clearly stated I aspire to.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp