Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Why Russia is Building Its Own Internet

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 13:07:59 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Touch <touch () strayalpha com>
Date: January 26, 2018 at 11:28:00 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Why Russia is Building Its Own Internet

Hi, Dave,

This approach is somewhat frightening and ignores the lessons learned in the development of the Internet.

I agree that the current Internet has (de)volved to fail to support some of the most fundamental requirements,
including the use of globally unique identifiers (destroyed by NATs) and the ability to send/receive reasonable
traffic on any port (destroyed by port blocking, DPI filters, and non-neutral nets).
The application layer is NOT an interworking layer itself. Using it as we do now results in the same problems that
plagued internetworking before the Internet - the need for N^2 translators, confusion over protocol translation
semantics, and the increasing impediment to new systems being integrated.

If, instead, we developed a common interworking layer at the app layer, all we would accomplish is to reinvent the
Internet there, much less efficiently.
Let's please not reinvent the wheel - because if we need to do that now, what is to stop us from eventually needing
to do so again, when (not if) that layer suffers from the fate the current Internet endures. It's time to fix things,
not reinvent them.

Joe