Interesting People mailing list archives

Money Laundering Via Author Impersonation on Amazon?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 18:31:56 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: José María Mateos <chema () rinzewind org>
Date: Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 1:24 PM
Subject: Money Laundering Via Author Impersonation on Amazon?
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Hi Dave,

For IP, if you want. Just another episode of "Why is Amazon sending this to
me".

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/02/money-laundering-via-author-impersonation-on-amazon/

---
Patrick Reames had no idea why Amazon.com sent him a 1099 form saying he’d
made almost $24,000 selling books via Createspace, the company’s on-demand
publishing arm. That is, until he searched the site for his name and
discovered someone has been using it to peddle a $555 book that’s full of
nothing but gibberish.

[...]

“Its not hard to imagine how these books could be used to launder money
using stolen credit cards or facilitating transactions for illicit
materials or funding of illegal activities,” Reames said. “I can not
believe Amazon is unaware of this and is unwilling to intercede to stop it.
I also believe they are not properly vetting their new accounts to limit
tax fraud via stolen identities.”
---

Cheers,

JMM.