Interesting People mailing list archives

Re The NY Times Fires Tech Writer Quinn Norton, and It's Complicated

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 17:44:18 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Zach White <zwhite () darkstar frop org>
Date: Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] The NY Times Fires Tech Writer Quinn Norton, and It's
Complicated
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
CC: <dewayne () warpspeed com>

Dave,

For IP, if you wish.

I don't know what to think about Quinn Norton and her situation. But there
is a figure in the story I do know: Andrew Auernheimer.

I first encountered Auernheimer, or as I knew him then, weev, in the late
90's on irc. He burst into my circle of friends and immediately became a
polarizing figure. Most of us saw him for what he was then- a troll who
would say anything to get a reaction from people. He is not a hacker in the
MIT tradition, or any tradition. His sole talent lies in doing those things
that everyone else says, "I'm not touching that because that will draw the
wrong kind of attention."

But for him, there is no wrong kind of attention. I do not know if his
racist change of heart is genuine, but I have every reason to believe that
it is not, that it is a calculated move designed to draw attention to
himself. Today, without a doubt, Auernheimer is laughing about what has
happened, and gloating to anyone who will listen. He doesn't care that a
woman's career has been tarnished, or for either side of the controversy.
In fact, if this ends up ruining Ms. Norton's career that will only make
him laugh harder.

Those of us who were on the Internet during the Usenet era will remember
what few people today know: Don't feed the trolls. I hope the NY Times and
other mainstream outlets learn that lesson soon.

-Zach