Interesting People mailing list archives

Can The States Really Pass Their Own Net Neutrality Laws? Here's Why I Think Yes.

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 07:10:30 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: February 8, 2018 at 5:39:19 AM EST
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Can The States Really Pass Their Own Net Neutrality Laws? Here's Why I Think Yes.

Can The States Really Pass Their Own Net Neutrality Laws? Here’s Why I Think Yes.
By Harold Feld
Feb 6 2018
<http://www.wetmachine.com/tales-of-the-sausage-factory/can-the-states-really-pass-their-own-net-neutrality-laws-heres-why-i-think-yes/>

We are seeing lots of activity in the states on net neutrality. The Governors of Montana, New York and New Jersey
have issued Executive Orders requiring that any broadband provider doing business with the state must certify that it
won’t block, throttle, or prioritize any content or applications. Several states are looking at passing legislation
applying some version of the 2015 FCC Net Neutrality Rules, with California furthest along in passing something that
effectively replicates the pre-2017 rules. All of which raises the question — can the states actually do that?

The FCC not only says “no,” but in the 2017 Net Neutrality Repeal Order, the FCC purported to explicitly preempt any
state effort to recreate any net neutrality rules. However, as I pointed out back in 2011 when Republican
Commissioners wanted to preempt state reporting requirements, the FCC does not have unlimited preemption power. The
FCC has to actually have some source of authority to preempt localities. Indeed, Chairman Pai was so insistent that
the FCC lacked the authority to preempt state regulation of intrastate communications services that — in a highly
unusual move — he refused to defend the portion of the FCC’s Prison Phone Order capping intrastate rates.

The critical question is not, as some people seem to think, whether broadband involves interstate communications or
not. Of course it does. So does ye olde plain old telephone service (POTS), and state regulated that up to the
eyeballs back in the day (even if they have subsequently deregulated it almost entirely). The question is whether
Congress has used its power over interstate commerce to preempt the states (directly or by delegating that power to
the FCC), or whether Congress has so pervasively regulated the field so as to effectively preempt the states, or
whether the state law — while framed as a permissible intrastate regulation — impermissibly regulates interstate
commerce (aka the “dormant commerce clause” doctrine). Additionally, certain types of state action, such a the action
of the state as a purchaser of services, are exceedingly difficult (if not impossible) to preempt.

As always with complicated legal questions, one cannot be 100% sure of how a court will decide. But for the reasons
set forth below, I’m reasonably confident that the states can pass their own net neutrality laws. I’m even more
confident that a state can decide to purchase services exclusively from carriers that make enforceable pledges not to
prioritize or otherwise discriminate against content. Mind you, I don’t think either of these is an effective
substitute for federal Title II classification and the 2015 rules. But I encourage states to do what they can and for
activists to push for state action in addition to federal action where possible.

Interstate Communications, Intrastate Communications, and Mixed Jurisdictional Service.

To review the basic principle from Con Law 101, the U.S. is weird because we have a “federalist” system under which
states are “sovereign” except for the explicit powers delegated to the federal government in the Constitution. So
generally, states can make whatever laws they want about goods or services offered within the boundaries of their
states. But one of the powers delegated explicitly to the federal government is to regulate commerce between the
states. Additionally, courts have interpreted the Interstate Commerce Clause as prohibiting states from regulating
commerce outside their boarders — particularly where this would discriminate against out-of-state services. This gets
somewhat complicated, however, because in theory anything a state does will have some impact on “interstate
commerce.” So if the constitution prohibited states from doing anything that had any impact on interstate commerce,
it would effectively eliminate the states own internal regulatory power — a result that directly conflicts with the
whole “federalism” thing. Additionally, even with regard to interstate commerce, we have historic exceptions for
states to regulate certain kinds of activities considered intrinsic to the power of the state and/or necessary for
public safety.

In particular, states get to dictate how businesses operate in their state — even if these businesses offer items “in
the stream of interstate commerce.” Nothing stops a state from regulating supermarkets, even though these sell lots
of out of state items. Nothing stops a state from regulating car dealerships. Nothing stops a state from regulating
how properties get rented — even if it involves Airbnb. But the Commerce Clause does impose some limits. If it wants
to, the federal government can preempt state law that is inconsistent with federal regulation of interstate commerce
(that is the combination of the Interstate Commerce Clause and the Supremacy Clause).

So it’s not enough to simply say that broadband is interstate. So are apples shipped from Washington State to
Maryland. That doesn’t stop Maryland from having a lot of say in how apples get sold in Maryland, so long as Maryland
doesn’t discriminate against apples grown outside the state and as long as Maryland regulation of the sale of apples
doesn’t contradict any federal law on the sale of apples.

Moving from the general to the specific, we now turn to broadband and the regulation of communications services in
the United States. Congress has created a federal agency, the FCC, that has general jurisdiction over “communication
by wire and radio.” So broadband falls in the general jurisdiction of the FCC. But Section 152(b) explicitly
recognizes the role of the states in regulating communications and expressly prohibits the FCC from regulating
“intrastate communications.” Additionally, we have well over 80 years of history of states regulating how local
telephone companies and local cable companies do business within their state. So this isn’t a case where Congress has
“preempted the field” as against any state regulation. To the contrary, states traditionally have lots of authority
over how they regulate any offering of local service, including an ability to impose non-discrimination requirements.

In telecom terms, we call something like broadband a “mixed jurisdictional service.” It has interstate elements and
intrastate elements. So unless Congress has either expressly limited state authority, or delegated authority to the
FCC to create federal policy in a way that preempts the states, the states can do whatever they want — subject to the
usual limitations of the Commerce Clause.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp