Interesting People mailing list archives

Needed Barlow quote favorites?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 21:52:17 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: cindy <cindy () eff org>
Date: Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM
Subject: For the IP list: Barlow quote favorites?
To: Dave Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
CC: Jason Kelley <jason () eff org>

Hi Dave,

I was wondering if you would be willing to circulate this to your IP list.

EFF is starting a small social media series where we gather favorite Barlow
quotes. They may form the basis of a “Barlow Ideas” event that we’re
thinking about putting together as well, probably jointly with Freedom of
the Press Foundation.

Do you have a quote to suggest? We can post them with or without
attribution from you.  Tweet length preferred but not necessary. Please
send them to me (Cindy () EFF org) or my colleague Jason (Jason () EFF org).

Some we’ve found so far:

"I have not given up on the idea that, as a species, we can be more humane
and fair, nor have I forsaken the notion that the greater understanding
bred by universal access to knowledge is the key to increasing these
qualities in us.“

“Copyright and intellectual property are the most important issues now. If
you don't have something that assures fair use, then you don't have a free
society. If all ideas have to be bought, then you have an intellectually
regressive system that will assure you have a highly knowledgeable elite
and an ignorant mass."

and I just found this surprising one:

"We have a deeply symbiotic relationship with large corporations. I
wouldn't want to eliminate them, because they are the engines of our
economic well being at the moment. But we need something -- and I think
it's governmental -- to reregulate the market and make it free, because the
multinationals have taken it away. I don't see anything particularly free
about a plutocracy."

Thanks!

Cindy