Interesting People mailing list archives

Dark Days: Struggling to Stay Upbeat in Troubling Times

From: "DAVID FARBER" <dfarber () me com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 08:11:40 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Subject: Dark Days: Struggling to Stay Upbeat in Troubling Times
Date: December 14, 2018 at 3:23:45 AM GMT+9
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>, DAVID FARBER <dfarber () me com>

Dave, FYI, my latest column for Scientific American. John Horgan

Dark Days: A science writer struggles to stay upbeat in a troubled time. <>

I recently found myself leaning on a rail that separated me from the mighty Hudson River. It was dusk, the end of a
cold, cloudy day. As the sky behind the Manhattan skyline faded from gray to black, the lights on the spires of the
Empire State Building and Freedom Tower gleamed more brightly.

So I thought. I even came up with an aphorism: “The darker the sky, the brighter the lights.” Then I realized what I
was doing. Nice try, I chided myself, but that’s pathetic, you’re grasping at epiphanies.

These dark days are getting me down. I try to maintain a bright outlook, as a matter of principle. I brainwash myself
with pep talks about how terrific life is, life in general and mine in particular. I remind myself of all I should be
grateful for. A good job, healthy son and daughter, girlfriend who only occasionally finds me annoying. I get to
write about things I care about. But the darkness is seeping into me...

I have good reasons for being glum. I’m 65 years old, on the downslope of life, and civilization, too, seems to be
descending. Bill McKibben, the environmental writer/activist, wonders in a recent essay
<https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/11/26/how-extreme-weather-is-shrinking-the-planet>what it will take for us
to take climate change seriously. The planet keeps giving us warning signs--fires, droughts, heat waves, floods,
storms, melting ice caps, rising seas, vanishing species--and yet we continue blithely skipping down “a path to
self-destruction,” McKibben writes. He assures us, dutifully, that “there is nothing inevitable about our fate,” but
his essay is less call to action than cry of despair...

Continue at https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/dark-days/
<https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/dark-days/>