Interesting People mailing list archives

Re What if Responsible Encryption Back-Doors Were Possible? - Lawfare

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 15:41:33 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Herb Lin <herblin () stanford edu>
Date: December 2, 2018 15:25:49 JST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () listbox com>
Cc: "ross.stapletongray () gmail com" <ross.stapletongray () gmail com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re What if Responsible Encryption Back-Doors Were Possible? - Lawfare

Here’s the industry event to which Ross refers (https://youtu.be/tH7pHJAO1t8).  Ross is right that I said some things
that were said during the Clipper debate.  That’s because some of the things said in favor of Clipper were valid.
That doesn’t mean that Clipper was a good idea.

If someone wants to challenge me on something specific that I said during that talk, I’m happy to engage in that
discussion.  That includes Ross, by the way.

The short version of what I said – or what I was trying to say, in any case—was that the technical debate is over as
far as I am concerned – I fully accept the conclusion that it is impossible to develop an encryption system with
exceptional access that is as secure as one without it.   But the advocates of responsible encryption are asking for
something else—they are asking for the most secure system possible subject to the constraint that exceptional access
is possible.  Whatever system comes out of that process *will* be less secure than what is possible without
exceptional access.

Whether the diminished security is or is not worth the benefits to law enforcement is a policy question, not a
technical question.  Advocates of exceptional access say “yes”, privacy advocates say “no.”  Both are reasonable
answers, but neither should pretend that their judgments are technically based—they are policy judgments.  For
myself, I note that policy judgments – unlike technical conclusions – are necessarily made in the particular societal
and political circumstances extant at the moment of that judgment, and so anyone making a policy judgment ought to
take those circumstances into account.

I confess to being surprised at Ross’s assertion that I am “fine with the potential to arm fascists in the
information age,” which is as close to an ad hominem attack as I’ve ever heard him make on me or anyone else.  If
intellectual honesty is part of the that potential, then I regret that I have to plead guilty.  But by the same
token, I think that anyone who works to develop better information technology also has to plead guilty, since it’s
impossible to make information technology unusable by fascists.

Herb

Herb Lin
Senior Research Scholar, Center for International Security and Cooperation
Hank J. Holland Fellow in Cyber Policy and Security, Hoover Institution
Stanford University
Stanford, CA  94305  USA
herblin () stanford edu
Twitter @HerbLinCyber