Interesting People mailing list archives

Austraian encryption law

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 06:09:21 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Christine Runnegar <runnegar () isoc org>
Subject: Re: [Internet Policy] Austraian encryption law
Date: December 6, 2018 at 1:42:25 AM GMT+9
To: Richard Hill <rhill () hill-a ch>
Cc: "internetpolicy () elists isoc org" <internetpolicy () elists isoc org>

Hello Richard,

Thank you for sharing this article on the list. Yes, it is not only authoritarian states that are pursuing approaches
that would undermine encryption and digital security more generally.

The latest news is that a revised version of the proposed legislation (to be agreed between the major political
parties) is expected to be tabled in the Australian House of Representatives on Thursday (later today if you are in
Europe or the US). Here is a link to live video feeds: https://www.aph.gov.au/News_and_Events/Watch_Parliament

News article about the state of play:
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/australias-encryption-bill-faces-17-changes-to-pass-parliament-516547

The proposed legislation was presented to Parliament in September and referred to the Parliamentary Joint Committee
on Intelligence and Security (PJCIS). That committee received submissions and heard evidence from a number of experts
through a series of public hearings. You can find all the relevant documents here:
https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Joint/Intelligence_and_Security/TelcoAmendmentBill2018

There are many excellent submissions made on the earlier exposure draft and/or the draft submitted to Parliament that
should be called out, but for the purposes of this email, I will highlight a couple:

- Our Chapter (Internet Australia):
https://www.internet.org.au/images/MediaReleases/2018-10-PJCIS-Assistance-and-Access-Bill-submission---Internet-Australia.pdf

- Internet Architecture Board:
https://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2018/09/IAB-Comments-on-Australian-Assistance-and-Access-Bill-2018.pdf

- MIT Internet Policy Research Initiative:
https://www.internet.org.au/images/MediaReleases/MIT-IPRI-Comments-AU-Bill-2018-09-10.pdf

(Internet Australia has collated a selection of submissions here: https://www.internet.org.au/news?start=5)

Let me also take the opportunity to call out the tremendous on-the-ground advocacy work that Internet Australia has
carried out. They have been working tirelessly even before the exposure draft was released in August, on a long-term
campaign to ensure that policymakers, politicians, and members of the public understand the very serious consequences
for digital security if service providers are required (or encouraged) to modify their systems to provide for law
enforcement/intelligence agency access to encrypted content. Together, with local partners and our support, they have
prepared submissions, released statements, held a public briefing session at the Australian Parliament, spoken to the
people who have the ability to make decisions about the legislation, appeared in numerous media interviews and press
articles, used social media to spread the message, and so much more. No matter what happens today, they should be
congratulated not only for all that they have done, but also because without the voice of Internet Australia and
others, this legislation may well have passed without amendment, without the decision-makers understanding what would
be consequences of their choice.

We will also be sending out messages on social media today, please look for them and share.

Finally, let me also point everyone to the Internet Society’s encryption landing page:
https://www.internetsociety.org/issues/encryption/

If your country is considering similar approaches to encryption and exceptional access, it’s a useful advocacy
resource.

Christine