Interesting People mailing list archives

Do read djf Re Is Science Hitting a Wall - it's not just about science

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2018 20:22:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Touch <touch () strayalpha com>
Date: April 8, 2018 at 8:20:41 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Is Science Hitting a Wall - it's not just about science

Hi, Dave,

A few observations:

- saving more lives means fewer opportunities to save lives, so all such metrics result in decreasing returns for two
reasons: fewer big-impact diseases to cure and un-cured diseases affect a smaller population. A good economist would
have taken that into account.

- science has always occurred as punctuated advancement rather than as a continuous stream, so it’s easy to find
sciences that are in their stable phases

- as others have noticed, however, the metrics used do not measure scientific advancement, but rather industrial
development

Many of our biggest advancements took many years to yield fruit - decades each for quantum mechanics, electricity,
and even the Internet. Expecting short-term gains ensures incremental and largely inconsequential advancement.

To put it another way, science is always hitting a wall, and always leaping over, breaking through, tunneling under,
or going around that wall. The former defines the lack of vision of those who fail to support science over useful
timescales; the latter defines the scientists who actually accomplish something.

To give a few examples:
      - science doesn’t happen “one grad student at a time” (yes, I’m talking to you, NSF)
      - science doesn’t yield predetermined objective metrics in 18 months (to DARPA)
      - science doesn’t yield return on investment in 5 years (to Google/MS/Intel/etc)

Nearly every example of science we all celebrate failed to fit the above expectations. Perhaps that’s the only place
where there is actually a wall.

Joe
This message was sent to the list address and trashed, but can be found online.