Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Is Science Hitting a Wall - it's not just about science

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2018 13:49:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: April 8, 2018 at 1:17:57 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "     'ip'" <ip () listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re Is Science Hitting a Wall - it's not just about science

It’s not just about science – it’s about public policy in general. Here to the tendency is for more of the same only
faster or bigger.
Today the focus is on faster and faster pipes as per the old measures (more “broadband”). But that is not what makes
the Internet so transformation. As in the example of physical goods, it doesn’t take many bits to “move” an object.
This is a problem in healthcare where it doesn’t take many bits to report vital signs. Instead we get high glitz
(often fanciful) applications used to justify fatter pipes.

Traditional pipe monetization model works against enabling Ambient Connectivity. As a result innovative applications
are blocked by the providers’ paywalls. Trying to work around this by having providers monetizing our data shows the
danger of constraining our thinking by applying old measures and maximizing the value of the center even as
intelligence moves to the source (AKA the edge).