Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Is Science Hitting a Wall?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2018 08:08:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Date: April 8, 2018 at 8:02:40 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Cc: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Is Science Hitting a Wall?

Yes, it links back to a message of mine you forwarded to IP five years ago, on the same topic by the same guys.

On Apr 8, 2018, at 8:27 PM, Dave Farber <farber () gmail com> wrote:

On Apr 8, 2018, at 5:19 AM, Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp> wrote:

Dave,

We do this one once every five years or so:

http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/2013/01/sort/time_rev/page/5/entry/15:205/20130116162245:DD0F4FB2-6022-11E2-B117-CAF0D64CF483/

These guys mix patents and applied science with pure science, which I think gives them the ability to cherry pick
data, among other shortcomings.

It’s certainly the case that as we add knowledge to our total, the path each student must trudge from the starting
point grows longer. Thus, our ability to innovate before the age of, say, thirty, depends on our ability to educate
students and bring them to the frontier — at least some point on it — in less than thirty years. Therefore, we are
very dependent on innovation in education — and the Internet combined with advances in psychology have only just
begun revolutionizing everything.

For little-s science as well as Big Science, we are also dependent on our ability to work in teams, and that’s
where the Internet has only just begun revolutionizing everything.

Finally, how we do science is changing — AIs and automated experimental equipment combined with supercomputinghave
just begun revolutionizing everything.

Have I mentioned that I think technology will revolutionize the way we work?

Of course, it’s easy to be a wild-eyed optimist with no grounding in fact, so I want to be cautious about this. But
in fact I think the economists who did this work are starting from a position of contrarianism, perhaps even
pessimism, and are in search of data to support that.

            —Rod

This message was sent to the list address and trashed, but can be found online.