Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Irma won't "wake up" climate change-denying Republicans. Their whole ideology is on the line.

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 23:14:05 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Schwartz, John <jswatz () nytimes com>
Date: Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 7:12 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Irma won't "wake up" climate change-denying
Republicans. Their whole ideology is on the line.
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave,

  The "no major storms in 10 years" is a popular meme among those who deny
the overwhelming evidence that supports climate change, but it doesn't hold
up. Tell people from my home town of Galveston, Texas that Ike wasn't a
major storm, or the people of New York and New Jersey that the
extratropical cyclone Sandy wasn't a major storm. Both storms were probably
enhanced by climate change, but they did not meet the too-narrow definition
of "major storm" in general use: a Category 3 or higher. This is
statistical gamesmanship, not climate science, and people who make the
argument should have to say these things to my friends from Galveston. It
would be fun to watch.

   No respectable climate scientist says that storms are caused by climate
change, but all of them say that elements of some storms are surely
enhanced by climate change, especially surge and the amount of rainfall
dropped by storms; there is growing evidence, too, that storms that survive
wind shear and other challenges might be stronger than they otherwise would
be because of warming oceans and other elements of climate change.

   In an interview I did with Texas A&M climate scientist Andrew Dessler a
while back, he put it well: he  the question of climate change and weather
to trying to figure out which of Barry Bonds’s home runs were caused by his
steroid use.

“You know statistically some of them were, but you don’t know which ones,”
he said. “Almost certainly, it would have rained a lot even without climate
change — but it’s possible climate change juiced it, added a little bit.”