Interesting People mailing list archives

The Risk of Nuclear War with North Korea

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 08:33:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: September 8, 2017 at 8:11:35 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] The Risk of Nuclear War with North Korea

[Note:  This item comes from friend Gerald Steinback.  DLH]

The Risk of Nuclear War with North Korea
On the ground in Pyongyang: Could Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump goad each other into a devastating confrontation?
By Evan Osnos
Sept 18 2017 Issue
<https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/09/18/the-risk-of-nuclear-war-with-north-korea>

1. The Madman Theory

The United States has no diplomatic relations with North Korea, so there is no embassy in Washington, but for years
the two countries have relied on the “New York channel,” an office inside North Korea’s mission to the United
Nations, to handle the unavoidable parts of our nonexistent relationship. The office has, among other things,
negotiated the release of prisoners and held informal talks about nuclear tensions. In April, I contacted the New
York channel and requested permission to visit Pyongyang, the capital of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

The New York channel consists mostly of two genial middle-aged men: Pak Song Il, a husky diplomat with a gray brush
cut; and his aide-de-camp, Kwon Jong Gun, who is younger and thinner. They go everywhere together. (The North Korean
government has diplomats work in pairs, to prevent them from defecting, or being recruited as spies.) Under U.S. law,
they can travel only twenty-five miles from Columbus Circle. Pak and Kwon met me near their office, for lunch at the
Palm Too. They cautioned me that it might take several months to arrange a trip. North Korea periodically admits
large groups of American journalists, to witness parades and special occasions, but it is more hesitant when it comes
to individual reporters, who require close monitoring and want to talk about the nuclear program.

Americans are accustomed to eruptions of hostility with North Korea, but in the past six months the enmity has
reached a level rarely seen since the end of the Korean War, in 1953. The crisis has been hastened by fundamental
changes in the leadership on both sides. In the six years since Kim Jong Un assumed power, at the age of
twenty-seven, he has tested eighty-four missiles—more than double the number that his father and grandfather tested.
Just before Donald Trump took office, in January, he expressed a willingness to wage a “preventive” war in North
Korea, a prospect that previous Presidents dismissed because it would risk an enormous loss of life. Trump has said
that in his one meeting with Barack Obama, during the transition, Obama predicted that North Korea, more than any
other foreign-policy challenge, would test Trump. In private, Trump has told aides, “I will be judged by how I handle
this.”

On the Fourth of July, North Korea passed a major threshold: it launched its first intercontinental ballistic missile
powerful enough to reach the mainland United States. In response, on July 21st, authorities in Hawaii announced that
they would revive a network of Cold War-era sirens, to alert the public in the event of a nuclear strike. Trump said
that he hopes to boost spending on missile defense by “many billions of dollars.” On September 3rd, after North Korea
tested a nuclear weapon far larger than any it had revealed before—seven times the size of the bombs dropped on
Hiroshima and Nagasaki—the U.S. Secretary of Defense, James Mattis, warned that a threat to America or its allies
would trigger a “massive military response.”

A few days after the July 4th missile test, Pak told me that I could book a flight to Pyongyang. I submitted a list
of people I wanted to interview, including diplomats and Kim Jong Un himself. About the latter, Pak only laughed.
(Kim has never given an interview.) After Pak stopped laughing, he said I could talk to other officials. I wanted to
understand how North Koreans think about the kind of violence that their country so often threatens. Were the threats
serious, or mere posturing? How did they imagine that a war would unfold? Before my arrival in North Korea, I spent
time in Washington, Seoul, and Beijing; many people in those places, it turned out, are asking the same things about
the United States.

About a week before my flight to Pyongyang, America’s dealings with North Korea deteriorated further. On August 5th,
as punishment for the missile test, the U.N. Security Council adopted some of the strongest sanctions against any
country in decades, blocking the sale of coal, iron, and other commodities, which represent a third of North Korea’s
exports. President Trump, in impromptu remarks at his golf club in New Jersey, said that “any more threats to the
United States” will be met “with fire and fury like the world has never seen.” A few hours later, North Korea
threatened to fire four missiles into the Pacific Ocean near the American territory of Guam, from which warplanes
depart for flights over the Korean Peninsula. Trump replied, in a tweet, that “military solutions are now fully in
place, locked and loaded, should North Korea act unwisely.”

Suddenly, the prospect of a nuclear confrontation between the United States and the most hermetic power on the globe
had entered a realm of psychological calculation reminiscent of the Cold War, and the two men making the existential
strategic decisions were not John F. Kennedy and Nikita Khrushchev but a senescent real-estate mogul and
reality-television star and a young third-generation dictator who has never met another head of state. Between them,
they had less than seven years of experience in political leadership.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp