Interesting People mailing list archives

"Easy to find source of student debt crisis: Bureaucrats behind high cost of college," Silverglate in the BOSTON HERALD, 9/2/2017

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 15:24:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Harvey Silverglate <Harvey () harveysilverglate com>
Date: September 5, 2017 at 10:49:51 AM EDT
To: Harvey Silverglate <Harvey () harveysilverglate com>
Subject: "Easy to find source of student debt crisis: Bureaucrats behind high cost of college," Silverglate in the
BOSTON HERALD, 9/2/2017

Dear readers on my opt-in columns-by-email list:

                Unconscionable and unsustainable increases in college tuitions have either deprived many students of
access to higher education, or else saddled them and their families with enormous and in many cases life-altering
debt. There has been much speculation as to the causes of these increases. My experience dealing with colleges and
universities during the half-century (so far) of my legal career has told me a large part of the reason – the massive
growth in campus bureaucracies (especially in the student life sector) that, from my vantage point, do very little
other than “make work.” And, in fact, the growing army of bureaucrats actually cause more problems than they solve.
They diminish, rather than increase, the quality of higher education. (This is a topic to which I plan to return in
future writings. For now, here is my take on the sheer numbers at issue.)

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/columnists/2017/09/silverglate_easy_to_find_source_of_student_debt_crisis

                Feel welcome to leave a comment on the The Boston Herald website, or, if you have a more personal
message, send me an email (I try to answer all of them).

Harvey A. Silverglate
Attorney-at-law & Writer
607 Franklin Street
Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel. (617) 661-9156
Ass’t: (617) 876-5610
Fax (617) 492-4925
has () harveysilverglate com
www.harveysilverglate.com

Of counsel to:
Zalkind Duncan & Bernstein LLP
65A Atlantic Avenue
Boston, MA 02110
hsilverglate () zalkindlaw com
www.zalkindlaw.com

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE)
has () thefire org
www.thefire.org

Three Felonies a Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent
Encounter Books, 2nd edition paperback, 2011

The Shadow University: The Betrayal of Liberty on America’s Campuses
The Free Press/Simon & Schuster, 1998; HarperPerennial paperback, 1999