Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Repeat Yes, Google Uses Its Power to Quash Ideas It Doesn't Like - I Know Because It Happened to Me

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 12:51:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Charles Arthur <charles.arthur () gmail com>
Date: September 1, 2017 at 10:46:27 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: stefano () quintarelli it
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Repeat Yes, Google Uses Its Power to Quash Ideas It Doesn't Like - I Know Because It Happened to
Me

unfortunately, yes, you’re wrong - it was absolutely intended to be a rival to Facebook; Google felt it had missed
out (repeatedly) on the growth of social. Remember it tried first with Buzz (February 2010) which landed it in hot
water with the FTC because it simply grabbed everyone’s email to create a social network. Bad move.

G+ (launched mid-2011) was meant to do all the same social things as Facebook but “better” - hence the idea of
“circles” (which turned out to be too much bother). And it automatically dragooned people into joining it by forcing
it as an attachment to their Gmail.

The thing of integrating user profile data was a bonus - which Google then did afterwards anyway, in March 2012,
changing its privacy policy so that whatever you did on Gmail, YouTube or other Google properties was all mashed
together; you couldn’t keep it separate.