Interesting People mailing list archives

How Trump is helping to save our democracy

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 07:55:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: September 24, 2017 at 7:36:14 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] How Trump is helping to save our democracy

How Trump is helping to save our democracy
By E.J. Dionne Jr., Thomas E. Mann and Norman J. Ornstein
Sep 22 2017
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/how-trump-is-helping-to-save-our-democracy/2017/09/22/539b795e-9a1f-11e7-82e4-f1076f6d6152_story.html>

E.J. Dionne Jr., Thomas E. Mann and Norman J. Ornstein are the authors of “One Nation After Trump: A Guide for the
Perplexed, the Disillusioned, the Desperate, and the Not-Yet Deported,” from which this essay is adapted.

The election of Donald Trump could be one of the best things that ever happened to American democracy.

We say this even though we believe that Trump poses a genuine danger to our republican institutions and has done
enormous damage to our country. He has violated political norms, weakened our standing in the world and deepened the
divisions of an already sharply torn nation.

But precisely because the Trump threat is so profound, he has jolted much of the country to face problems that have
been slowly eroding our democracy. And he has aroused a popular mobilization that may far outlast him.

Many of the trends that led to Trump’s election have been with us for years; he has created a crisis by pushing them
to their alarming endpoints. Political norms, for example, have been decaying for decades, but Trump has eschewed
norms altogether. One reading is that there will be no going back from the diminished public life he has created, and
it’s certainly true that the breaching of norms often produces a cascading effect: Behavior previously considered
inappropriate is normalized and taken up by others. Yet Trump’s sheer disregard for the normal practices and
principles of presidential behavior has cast a spotlight on the vital role that norms play in regulating and
protecting our democracy. Only when norms disappear are we reminded of how important they were in the first place.

The steady radicalization of the conservative movement since the 1960s paved the way for Trump by undermining trust
in government and promoting a sense that public officials are not interested in solving the problems of everyday
Americans. This was a successful strategy for the Republican Party, but it produced the least-qualified and
least-appropriate president in the nation’s history. While many Republicans remain in denial, hoping that Trump will
deliver them policy victories and court seats, some of them are starting to reexamine their consciences and their
long-term political interests.

A large group of influential conservative thinkers — Jennifer Rubin, Michael Gerson, Max Boot, George F. Will, Peter
Wehner, William Kristol and Tom Nichols, to name just a few — has spoken out against the nativist and xenophobic
strain in the Republican Party that gave rise to Trump and against his manifest disrespect for our institutions. They
want a problem-solving Republican Party, a necessity for our political system to operate. Only a handful of
Republican politicians have joined them, but their ranks are growing and include Gov. John Kasich of Ohio and Sens.
John McCain and Jeff Flake of Arizona.

Meanwhile, Republicans’ failure to pass any major piece of their legislative agenda, despite their control of the
presidency and both houses of Congress, is a sign that tea partyism provides no plausible path to governing. A purely
anti-government creed is out of touch with an American majority that may mistrust government but still expects it to
provide significant services, social protections and help in time of catastrophe. We have seen this in the backlash
to the efforts to repeal Obamacare. Republicans were scrambling this past week to pass another destructive repeal
billthat would leave millions without health insurance, simply because the congressional majority is desperate for a
legislative victory. But they have already lost the battle for public opinion.

The Trump era has pushed corporate leaders out of their comfort zones, too. The mass resignations of chief executives
from White House business advisory groups in the wake of Trump’s shamefully equivocal remarks about the violence in
Charlottesville were one sign of this. So was the strong pushback — from Apple’s Tim Cook, Hewlett Packard
Enterprise’s Meg Whitman and JPMorgan Chase’s Jamie Dimon, among many others — against Trump’s elimination of the
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program protecting immigrants who were brought to the country illegally
as children.

And Trump’s victory has led to soul-searching in the media. The election was a near-perfect case study in the dangers
of false equivalence, as Hillary Clinton’s significant but certainly not disqualifying problems were often portrayed
as more or less comparable to Trump’s obvious inappropriateness for the presidency, his hateful rhetoric and his
astonishingly long list of scandals. But many of the country’s leading news organizations have covered the Trump
White House’s lying and evasions with straightforward vigor. If Trump has exacerbated the problem of media echo
chambers, particularly on the right, he has also created a newly powerful constituency that cherishes a free press —
witness the soaring digital circulation numbers of The Washington Post, the New York Times and many other media
outlets devoted to hard-hitting reporting and analysis.

The Trump jolt has done more than force the country to a necessary reckoning. It has also called forth a wave of
activism, organizing and, perhaps most important, a new engagement by millions of Americans in politics at all levels.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp