Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Tech's push to teach coding isn't about kids' success – it's about cutting wages | Technology | The Guardian

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 09:51:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Evers Ridgely C." <rce () evers org>
Date: September 22, 2017 at 9:13:57 AM EDT
To: Farber David <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Tech's push to teach coding isn't about kids' success – it's about cutting wages | Technology | The
Guardian

Dave,

This strikes me akin to re-fighting the last war.  And, like that approach, it is doomed to fail.

In my 50 years of writing code and being in the technology industry, it has gotten progressively easier to do the
ordinary stuff, and the percentage of stuff that falls into the "ordinary" category is growing rapidly.  A decade
from now, when the current crop is in the workforce, it's not hard to imagine that much of the programming and
development work will be automated.

Yes, there will always be a need for the truly gifted.  And, it's a good idea to familiarize the rising generation
with the concepts underlying how their world works.  But to hold out a promise of acquiring skills that will lead to
a high-paying career is just wrong.

We should be teaching kids how to think and reason and solve problems and be creative -- foundational skills that are
increasingly left out of curricula because they don't link directly to a job -- because those abilities are
enduringly valuable in a world whose rate of change continues to accelerate.

My 2¢,

--Ridge