Interesting People mailing list archives

BEWARE/HEADS UP vis-a-vis Bluetooth & Wi-Fi can't be fully disabled via iOS 11 Control Center, Apple says

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 18:17:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: the keyboard of geoff goodfellow <geoff () iconia com>
Date: September 20, 2017 at 4:08:11 PM EDT
To: "E-mail Pamphleteer Dave Farber's Interesting People list" <ip () listbox com>
Cc: "Peter G. Neumann" <neumann () csl sri com>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, Sam Baker
<kokuadigital () gmail com>, Michael Grant <mgrant () grant org>
Subject: BEWARE/HEADS UP vis-a-vis Bluetooth & Wi-Fi can't be fully disabled via iOS 11 Control Center, Apple says

Bluetooth & Wi-Fi can't be fully disabled via iOS 11 Control Center, Apple says
Contrary to intuition, toggling off Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi in the iOS 11 Control Center won't completely disable
those radios, according to a new Apple support document.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/20/bluetooth-wi-fi-cant-be-fully-disabled-via-ios-11-control-center-apple-says

​this comment by "Mike1", from the above article, sez it best:

"After toggling off Wi-Fi, network auto-join is disabled as well until Wi-Fi is manually restarted, a person walks or
drives to a new place, or it's 5 a.m. local time. Bluetooth accessory connections will resume under the same
circumstances, minus the location trigger."

Really?! This sounds incredibly silly and certainly makes it less convenient. If I'm toggling off WiFi, it's because
I don't want it on. Period. At least three use cases that affect me personally...

1. I'm driving and the phone wants to connect to some public wifi signal that I may have used in the past. But now,
all it will do is slow down the phone because it's not connecting to LTE. On a typical commute, I may pass through
dozens of wifi networks.

2. I'm running errands and don't want my phone to connect to every public or store wifi signal I may pass through.
Most of them suck and I prefer to use my phone data.

3. I do not connect to my company's wifi network with my phone as they block most non-work related sites. No personal
e-mail, no score updates etc. So, I again turn off the wifi. Don't want it turning on again when I go into a
different building.

Shouldn't have to go into Settings to turn it off thereby negating the benefit of Control Center. Not like Apple to
make things less convenient.​

--
Geoff.Goodfellow () iconia com
living as The Truth is True

This message was sent to the list address and trashed, but can be found online.