Interesting People mailing list archives

There's no future for taxis': New York yellow cab drivers drowning in debt

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 11:09:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: October 20, 2017 at 10:55:55 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] 'There's no future for taxis': New York yellow cab drivers drowning in debt

'There's no future for taxis': New York yellow cab drivers drowning in debt
Ride-hail services like Uber and Lyft have saturated the market, and an exodus of drivers from cabs has made
medallion values drop – leaving many owing money
By Cecilia Saixue Watt
Oct 20 2017
<https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/20/new-york-yellow-cab-taxi-medallion-value-cost>

The premise is familiar: MD Islam left Bangladesh and came to the United States in search of a better life. He
arrived in New York, became a taxi driver, and set about following the well-trodden path of the industrious American
immigrant.

Then he began to work towards buying his own taxi medallion.

The medallion system regulates the yellow taxis serving New York City: since 1937, each vehicle has needed a
medallion in order to legally operate. Few taxi drivers own theirs; most lease them, paying around $100 for one
12-hour shift.

The limited number of medallions issued by the city made each one highly valuable; individual medallion sale prices
went from $50,000 in the late 1970s to over $1m by 2014.

For many taxi drivers, owning a medallion meant success. Homes would be purchased. Children would be sent to
universities.

Islam managed to put a down payment on his medallion in 2010, and for a few years, it seemed like a good investment.
Then, in 2015, with the widespread popularity of Uber, Lyft and other ride-hailing apps, his fortunes changed.

Ride-hail cars saturated the market, and an exodus of drivers from yellow taxis made medallion values drop
precipitously.

“I’ll have to spend my whole life paying this loan,” said Islam, now 40 and in debt to the tune of $830,000.

“And after that, I won’t get anything. The medallion has no value. No one wants to buy it now.”

In the New York City of the public imagination, taxicabs dot the urban landscape. Taxi driving is an old, almost
mythic profession in this city; the first yellow cabs appeared in the 1920s.

Today, there are more than 13,000 yellow medallion taxis in New York, split among about 40,000 drivers – some own
their own medallions and cars, but most do not; many drivers work for a fleet, like the characters from Taxi, and pay
to rent each car on a daily or weekly basis.

“I always liked driving cars,” said Dragan Lekic, 56. He emigrated to New York from what was then Yugoslavia, shortly
before the beginning of the Yugoslav wars.

“You start something, and then you get caught into it. But as you well know, America has been a dream for everybody.
So I’m here.”

The job is not easy: the standard shift is 12 hours, and with the cost of leasing a car and filling the gas tank, a
bad day means taking a loss. For every moment spent without a paying passenger, the driver loses money. Occasionally,
passengers are abusive or violent; nationwide, taxi drivers are over 20 times more likely to be murdered on the job
than anyone else.

But taxi driving provides the chance to make a living, however difficult or dangerous or meager – especially for
working-class immigrants, who often have limited employment opportunities.

“I have problems with my English,” said Jinder Singh, 55. “I can only drive.”

Twenty years ago, Singh left the Punjab in northern India, where he had worked on a farm, and moved to New York. He
followed his brother-in-law into the taxi business, and has been driving ever since.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp