Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Almost half of Republicans want war with North Korea, a new poll says. Is it the Trump Effect? - The Washington Post

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 06:43:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Geoff Kuenning <geoff () cs hmc edu>
Date: October 16, 2017 at 2:51:06 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "ip" <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Almost half of Republicans want war with North Korea, a new poll says. Is it the Trump Effect? -
The Washington Post

I suspect that most ordinary Americans, and especially those predisposed towards a first strike, live in a fantasy
world where nuclear bombs are simultaneously surgical (they only destroy what you want to destroy, and have minor
side effects outside the blast radius) and all-destructive (a few well-placed nukes would eliminate all of North
Korea, including all of their weapons).  In that world, Seoul and Tokyo wouldn't be at risk.

The average American isn't capable of doing the simple calculation that shows that with a four-mile blast radius,
around 1,000 H-bombs would be needed to flatten the country.  (I was surprised it's that small; NK is a tiny place.)
Still, that's about 2/3 of our current deployed stockpile of strategic warheads.

If we wanted to prevent North Korea from attacking Seoul and Tokyo, the bombs would have to explode pretty much
simultaneously, and catch the conventional forces by surprise so they couldn't launch their rockets before the
incoming missiles landed--highly unlikely, since they're on hair-trigger alert, and some of the attack would have to
come from bombers.  And that assumes no hardened bunkers, of course.

Donald Trump, who probably has never heard of pi-r-squared, certainly falls into the "can't do the calculation"
category.

Begin forwarded message: