Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Strong Encryption Is Essential to Our Security, Not a Barrier | Internet Society]

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 18:47:48 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Strong Encryption Is Essential to Our Security, Not a
Barrier | Internet Society]
To: dave <dave () farber net>
CC: ip <ip () listbox com>

HI Dave,

Kudos to Mark Buell for saying what we are all thinking!

October is National Cybersecurity Awareness month
<https://www.dhs.gov/national-cyber-security-awareness-month> and last week
we flew in the Internet Society's Chief Internet Technology Officer Olaf
Kolkman from Amsterdam to give a keynote <https://youtu.be/1wAITYFkOmo> in
NYC - The Future of Trust. He mentioned a Dutch 'idiom' on trust: "Comes by
foot,
leaves by horse."  Back doors are open barn doors!

A transcript of Olaf's remarks is available at
http://isoc-ny.org/misc/2017-10-05_Olaf_Kolkman.txt

joly

"Strong Encryption Is Essential to Our Security, Not a Barrier"

By Mark Buell
Regional Bureau Director, North America

Encryption technologies help protect user data from theft and they help
secure critical infrastructure and services that societies depend on. But,
encryption is also available to criminals and terrorists. This puts law
enforcement agencies in a difficult position. In effect, they are faced
with the dilemma of how to gather evidence on criminals and other
adversaries who may be using encryption, while at the same time, not
putting the safety of law-abiding citizens at greater risk. While we at the
Internet Society recognize the challenges facing law enforcement, we
believe that strong encryption should be available to all Internet users as
it is an important technical solution to protect their communications and
data.

This dilemma was voiced by U.S. Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in
a recent speech. He argued that “Encrypted communications that cannot be
intercepted and locked devices that cannot be opened are law-free zones
that permit criminals and terrorists to operate without detection by police
and without accountability by judges and juries.”

This problem, claimed Rosenstein, can be solved with what he calls
“responsible encryption.” To Rosenstein, “responsible encryption” could
“involve effective, secure encryption that allows access only with judicial
authorization.” Unfortunately, if a way is made for law enforcement to
bypass encryption, it could be exploited by anyone else. A criminal would
only have to discover the bypass to gain the same access as law
enforcement. Even the strongest of locks will always open to its key. No
matter how a company creates access to encrypted communications or data,
they introduce new attack vectors that weaken encryption and put users at
greater risk. Fact is, there have been numerous recent examples of
governmentsand corporations losing critical information.

As the Internet Society has noted before, the mathematical theory upon
which encryption is built is in the public realm. In fact, there are many
reference implementations available of encryption technology. As a result,
even if technology companies are required to provide special
law-enforcement access, a new black market for underground encrypted
products would likely spring up to support criminals and terrorist networks.

Internet trust and secure communications are critical for growing the
economy, spurring innovation, and promoting the free exchange of ideas in
the United States. Any weakening of encryption will compromise the security
of all users, stifle innovation, and reduce trust in the Internet.

As I’ve blogged before, strong encryption is essential to our security,
not a barrier. It makes everyone more secure from threats from criminals,
terrorists, and other adversaries. Weakening encryption may seem like an
attractive option, a quick fix to a real security challenge. However, in
the long-term, it will undermine the online safety of everyone.

Archives <https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/=now>
<https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/247/125534-14f1b966> | Modify
<https://www.listbox.com/member/?&;>
Your Subscription | Unsubscribe Now
<https://www.listbox.com/unsubscribe/?&&post_id=20171013135938:45BFDF28-B040-11E7-BFE4-F92CF50A0C55>
<http://www.listbox.com>

--
Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast