Interesting People mailing list archives

The Airport Bomber From Last Week You Never Heard About

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 16:34:20 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: October 12, 2017 at 4:16:38 PM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] The Airport Bomber From Last Week You Never Heard About

The Airport Bomber From Last Week You Never Heard About
By Shaun King
Oct 11 2017
<https://theintercept.com/2017/10/11/terrorist-donald-trump-airport-bomber-estes-asheville/>

It’s strange how some things really catch on and go viral and others don’t. These days, nothing quite makes a story
blow up — no pun intended — like the president’s fixation with it. That’s why it’s so peculiar that what sure looks
like an attempted terrorist attack was narrowly thwarted at an American airport this past Friday without so much as a
peep from Donald Trump about it. No tweets. No nicknames for the alleged would-be-terrorist. Nothing. You’ll see why
in a minute.

This past Friday morning, at 12:39 a.m., security footage from the Asheville Regional Airport in North Carolina
showed a man walking through the front doors wearing black clothing and a black cap, while carrying a bag. “Based on
a review of the video, the individual walked near the entrance to the terminal, went out of sight momentarily, and
was then seen departing the area without the bag,” according to the criminal complaint.

Following the Transportation Security Administration’s protocols, airport security allowed a bomb dog to sniff the
bag for explosives and the dog signaled to the team the presence of dangerous materials in the bag. The concourse was
then shut down. The street leading to the airport was shut down. And Asheville Regional Airport officials found
themselves in a dangerous emergency situation.

What investigators eventually found in the bag was AN/FO (Ammonium Nitrate/Fuel Oil) explosives that, according to
the criminal complaint, have been used “in a number of terrorist-related incidents around the world. When AN/FO comes
into contact with a flame or other ignition source it explodes violently. Nails or ball bearings are often items
added to the device so as to increase the devastation inflicted by the explosion.”

In fact, sharp nails and bullets were found in this improvised explosive device. Whoever built it designed the bomb
to cause horrific bodily harm. Before disarming it, authorities discovered that the alarm attached to it was
scheduled to go off at 6:00 a.m. that morning just as a fresh round of travelers was scheduled to arrive at the
airport.

The man who planted it, it turns out, openly admitted to authorities that he was “preparing to fight a war on U.S.
soil” and that this bomb was but one part of that war.

Little Fanfare

I bet you never heard about it. I keep an eye on these types of incidents closely and I didn’t hear about it. Someone
who follows me online who happens to live in Asheville sent me the story this morning — shocked that it hadn’t gotten
any play at all beyond a few mentions in the local paper and some isolated pickup by a few national outlets.

As soon as I clicked on the article, it all made perfect sense.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp