Interesting People mailing list archives

Why Facebook is in a hole over data mining [is cuz earns nearly $20 per user per year (in the US and Canada) by monetising their data.]"

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 18:35:20 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: the keyboard of geoff goodfellow <geoff () iconia com>
Date: October 8, 2017 at 4:23:17 PM EDT
To: "E-mail Pamphleteer Dave Farber's Interesting People list" <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Why Facebook is in a hole over data mining [is cuz earns nearly $20 per user per year (in the US and Canada)
by monetising their data.]"

Why Facebook is in a hole over data mining
It’s Mark Zuckerberg’s business model that allows Facebook to be manipulated by political activists – no wonder he’s
in denial about it
By John Naughton
Oct 8 2017
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/08/facebook-zuckerberg-in-a-hole-data-mining-business-model>

One of my favourite books is The Education of Henry Adams (published in 1918). It’s an extended meditation, written
in old age by a scion of one of Boston’s elite families, on how the world had changed in his lifetime, and how his
formal education had not prepared him for the events through which he had lived. This education had been grounded in
the classics, history and literature, and had rendered him incapable, he said, of dealing with the impact of science
and technology.

Re-reading Adams recently left me with the thought that there is now an opening for a similar book, The Education of
Mark Zuckerberg. It would have an analogous theme, namely how the hero’s education rendered him incapable of
understanding the world into which he was born. For although he was supposed to be majoring in psychology at Harvard,
the young Zuckerberg mostly took computer science classes until he started Facebook and dropped out. And it turns out
that this half-baked education has left him bewildered and rudderless in a culturally complex and politically
polarised world.

What is intriguing about the Facebook founder is his astonishing blend of high intelligence, naivety and hubris. In
February, when it finally began to dawn on him that the election of Donald Trump might tell us something significant
and disturbing about the state of the US society, he wrote a lengthy epistle to his 86 million disciples.

“Today,” it began, “I want to focus on the most important question of all: are we building the world we all want?”
Ponder that for a moment: note the imperial, hubristic “we” and the implicit assumption that it is possible to build
a single world that everyone wants. It comes straight out of the Ladybird book of democracy. The epistle continues in
the same vein. “Progress now requires humanity coming together, not just as cities or nations, but also as a global
community.” And of course Facebook would provide just such a community: after all, it already has more than 2 billion
users, which is significantly more people than there are in China.

When it began to dawn on people that the powerful ad-targeting machine that Zuckerberg and his associates had built
might also have been used to nudge voters towards Trump and away from Clinton, Zuckerberg’s response was a mixture of
denial and incredulity. Then, as the evidence mounted that his machine had indeed been “weaponised” by political
actors to send so-called “dark posts” to individual users, he pivoted rapidly from incredulity to scepticism and then
– as the evidence became incontrovertible – to technocratic determination to “solve” the problem. In between, he took
consolation from the fact that since everyone was now angry with Facebook, the company must be doing something right.
“Trump says Facebook is against him,” he wrote. “Liberals say we helped Trump. Both sides are upset about ideas and
content they don’t like. That’s what running a platform for all ideas looks like.”

Given the ineptitude of his response to the crisis, Zuckerberg makes Theresa May look like Einstein. And therein lies
a puzzle. For we know that the lad isn’t stupid. Why then is he apparently behaving like an idiot? The answer is that
he cannot come clean about the root of the problem, because to do so would reveal the unpalatable truth that it’s a
product of Facebook’s business model.​..​

[snip]

--
Geoff.Goodfellow () iconia com
living as The Truth is True

This message was sent to the list address and trashed, but can be found online.