Interesting People mailing list archives

A new way to study our universe': what gravitational waves mean for future science

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 12:13:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: October 4, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] 'A new way to study our universe': what gravitational waves mean for future science

'A new way to study our universe': what gravitational waves mean for future science
The 2017 physics Nobel prize was awarded for the detection of gravitational waves. But what else could be revealed
now that this discovery has been made
By Ian Sample and Hannah Devlin
Oct 3 2017
<https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/03/a-new-way-to-study-our-universe-what-gravitational-waves-mean-for-future-science-nobel-physics>

You wait 100 years for a gravitational wave and then four come along at once. Or so it must seem to those who spent
decades designing and building the exquisite instruments needed to sense the minuscule ripples in spacetime that
Albert Einstein foresaw in his 1905 theory of general relativity.

The first gravitational wave bagged by physicists reached Earth on 14 September 2015 and sent a quiver through the
US-based Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (Ligo). The second hit three months later, on Boxing
Day, followed by a third in January this year. When the fourth wave arrived in August, both Ligo and a second
observatory in Italy, named Virgo, recorded the moment.

Each of the gravitational waves had been set in motion by violent collisions between black holes more than a billion
years ago. But while detecting the waves was feat enough to land the Nobel prize in physics for Rainer Weiss, Barry
Barish and Kip Thorne, what excites astronomers now is what they stand to learn about the universe.

“This is a story in two parts,” said Sheila Rowan, director of the Institute for Gravitational Research at the
University of Glasgow. “The first part was the quest to make these instruments sensitive enough to make the first
detection, but that’s the end of one story and the start of another. We are really on the threshold of a whole new
way to study our universe and that’s hugely exciting.”

Until now, astronomers have mapped the heavens almost exclusively with telescopes that gather light and other forms
of electromagnetic radiation. Optical telescopes, such as Hubble, have allowed scientists to gaze deep into the
history of the universe, but these observations hit a hard limit at about 400,000 years after the big bang: back
then, the universe was opaque to light.

Gravitational waves are not so easily blocked. Although they are weak, they are hard to mask, and so future
observations of the waves could allow scientists to break through the optical limit and see what the universe looked
like moments after the big bang.

“At some point, not with the detectors we have now, we hope to be able to look at the beginnings of the universe,”
said Rainer Weiss, the physicist at MIT who shared Tuesday’s Nobel prize in physics with other members of the Ligo
team.

“There are calculations that indicate that the very earliest instants of the universe, right after the universe gets
born, there is an enormous amount of background radiation of gravitational waves generated. That would be one of the
most fascinating things man could [see] because it will tell you very much how the universe starts.”

The earliest gravitational waves were probably emitted a fraction of a second after the big bang, when the universe
went from being smooth and structureless to clumpy, at which point spacetime became “bendy”.

Professor Andreas Freise, a Ligo project scientist at the University of Birmingham, said: “One of the mysteries is
how we get from there to now where everything is clumpy.”

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp